Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Object of the Week - Coward’s Cider Label 1930s


The Coward family settled in Dungarvan c. 1925 and Henry Coward worked for Thomas Power producing his Blackwater Cider.  

Power's stopped production and the Coward family started their own cider business in Stephen Street, Dungarvan where they also had an iron foundry.

Newspaper Article about Waterford County Museum 1982



Object of the Week - Memo to the Dungarvan Waterworks Committee from Michael Beary (Borough Surveyor) 1893


Michael Beary (1841-1917) lived in Sexton Street, Abbeyside.  He was appointed Borough Surveyor in 1882 a post he held until his retirement in 1908.  Edmund Keohan states that he designed two schemes of Artizan Dwellings in Dungarvan.  

This billhead notes that he was 'Engineer for Labourer's Cottages'.  He was interested in local history and was a member of the RSAI.  He was also an amateur artist and painted a number of illuminated addresses including that to Captain Veale on display in the museum.

To hear more about Beary and public housing in Dungarvan William Fraher will be giving a talk on the subject at the Group for the Study of Irish Historic Settlement's conference at Lawlor's Hotel on Sunday the 13th of May.  

For more details see www.irishsettlement.ie

Group for the Study of Irish Historic Settlement in association with Waterford County Museum Society

The Annual Conference will take place in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford in Lawlor’s Hotel on the 11th to the 13th of May.  

For more details see www.irishsettlement.ie

Object of the Week - Power's Lemonade Bottle 1960s

This and other soft drinks were produced at Power's Brewery, Dungarvan under the management of Paul I Power.  

The Power Brothers who established the firm in 1883 had in fact made lemonade and orangeade since the foundation of the business.

‘A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING AND EVERYTHING IN ITS PLACE’: The Gardens of the Big House: Their History and Place in Art


On Sunday the 6th of May from 10am-4pm there will be talks given by numerous speakers at Dromana House and Gardens in Cappoquin, Co. Waterford on the history and place in art of the Gardens of the Big House.

Enquiries and booking:


Tel: (086) 8186305

Website: www.dromanahouse.com

€70 per person or €125 for 2 persons: includes morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea.

Object of the Week - Oil Painting on Glass of Bartholomew Kiely c. 1870

Bartholomew Kiely was a ship owner and merchant in Dungarvan.

Recent Visit to Middlequarter, Co. Waterford



Christina Knight-O'Connor, Eddie Cantwell and Simon Dowling recently took a visit to Middlequarter in Co. Waterford.  They took photographs of the standing stone pictured above which Simon will be creating a 3D model of.  We would like to thank Simon for lending us his time to do this.

Pictured below is an example of Simon's 3D modeling work.  The model is of the Stradbally Ogham Stone.



Annual Museum Fundraising Book Sale

We are now accepting book donations in the museum for our annual fundraising book sale.  

Please note that we will not be accepting any books that have aged and are brown, we will not be accepting any books that date from the 1800s or earlier unless they are of historical significance and we will not be accepting any magazines unless they are of historical significance.

Seán Murphy Talk

Seán Murphy’s talk on local people and their connection with WW1 took place at the Dungarvan Harbour Sailing Club on Wednesday the 21st of March.  There was a great attendance and Seán gave a brilliant and informative talk.  

We would like to thank Seán for giving his time to do the talk, also a big thank you to Austin Flynn and the Sailing Club for allowing us the use of their wonderful facility which was a big hit with those attending over the past three lectures.  

Our thanks also to Seán Organ for publicising our talks over the past season and our thanks to the Dungarvan Leader and Dungarvan Observer for their continued coverage of our events.  

This completes our lecture season until September.



Object of the Week - Teabag for Bobby Keane's Bar and Grocery c. 1950s

Bobby Keane's was situated at 71 O'Connell Street, Dungarvan.  In the 1960s he also operated as an auctioneer.  He also had a fish shop next door and exported fish to the UK.  

The Keane family were associated with Colligan Lodge.

Museum Members’ Annual Trip to the North Midlands

The museum members’ annual trip this year will take place on Sunday the 29th of April to Wednesday the 2nd of May.  

There are only a few spaces left on the trip so if you are interested in booking one of these spaces please contact the museum at 058 45960.

Object of the Week - A selection of sweet labels from the shop at the Ormonde Cinema, Dungarvan, 1950s/60s

Gallows Hill featured in present edition of Archaeology Ireland


Waterford County Museum/Gallows Hill Adopt a Monument Community Group were delighted to be included in the present issue of Archaeology Ireland.

Plans with the group are well underway for a further dig at the mound during the summer.  All donations for this historical ground breaking event will be welcomed at the museum and remember that no donation is too small.

International Women’s Day Talk



Our talk on Sarah Purser by William Fraher was held in the museum on International Women’s Day Thursday the 8th of March.  There was a brilliant attendance and the talk was thoroughly enjoyed by all.


Object of the Week - Photograph of a snowdrift in Abbeyside, March 1947


This photo of two people having fun in the snow was taken at Coolagh Road, Abbeyside in March 1947.

World War 1: Some Local Stories - An Illustrated Talk by Seán Murphy

It is true to say that Seán Murphy is probably the most recognised personality in County Waterford.  Seán and his wife Síle’s contribution to local history is legendary.  They have several books to their credit dealing with local history down through the years.

Seán will be giving a talk on local people and their connection with WW1 at the Dungarvan Harbour Sailing Club on Wednesday the 21st of March at 8pm.  Admission is €5.

  

Kilmacthomas Historical Society Talk

Kilmacthomas Historical Society are holding a talk on ‘A Church of Ireland family story 1920-1923’ by John Hobbs in Lenihans Lounge Bar, Newtown, Kilmacthomas on Monday the 12th of March at 8pm.  

Admission is €5 and all are welcome to attend.

International Women’s Day Talk

To mark International Women's Day on Thursday the 8th of March Waterford County Museum will hold a talk by William Fraher on the artist Sarah Purser who lived at The Hermitage, Abbeyside, titled: Sarah Purser (1848-1943) - Artist - Advocate for the Arts-Nationalist.  

The talk will take place at 3pm in the museum.  Admission is free.

Object of the Week - Whiskey Jar stamped J.R. Dower & Co. Dungarvan

John R. Dower was the owner of St Brigid's Well Brewery in Dungarvan.  The brewery was established in the late 18th century on land owned by the Marquis of Waterford.  Their 'Shamrock Ale' was very popular.  

John R Dower was also a magistrate, Town Commissioner and built Mountain View House.

Liam Suipéil Talk

There was a capacity audience at the Dungarvan Harbour Sailing Club for Liam Suipéil’s talk on the coastal place names from Ring to Ardmore.
We were given a fascinating insight into the background of these names and it is hoped that when the research is completed that this important work will be published and made available to all.


Nioclas O Griofain, Noirin Ni Chonaola, Liam Suipéil and Eddie Cantwell.




Antique Clothing Donation

We were delighted to receive a donation from Peter Hudson of antique clothing relating to the Hudson/Malcomson families.  

We hope to have a display on the Malcomson family at a future date.


Peter Hudson and his daughter with William Fraher presenting antique clothing from the Hudson/Malcomson families to Waterford County Museum.

Peter Hudson and his daughter admiring the Dungarvan Cycling Club jug awarded to his ancestor Richard Phineas Hudson.

Object of the Week - Billhead for Michael Mulcahy, Sailmaker c. 1870


This bill was issued to Captain John Carbery of Dungarvan for sails for his ship.  

The Mulcahy family of St. Augustine Street and Abbeyside were sailmakers for over 100 years.

Object of the Week - 'Merry's Old Liqueur Whiskey' bottle


A rare bottle from Robert A Merry & Co, Grocers, Wine & Spirit Merchants of Lower Main Street Dungarvan.  Merry’s established their business in Dungarvan in 1868 and acquired the old market house as stores and offices.  

The shop was in a house owned by John Keily of Strancally Castle at No.33 Main Street and No.1 Church Street.  In 1883 they opened a shop in Waterford and one in New Ross.

The Personality of a Coastline - An Illustrated Talk by Liam Suipéil

If you love exploring the local rocky coastlines then you will certainly be interested in this talk.  Liam’s talk will cover the coastline from Ring to Ardmore and certainly promises to be of great interest.  

The talk will take place at the Dungarvan Harbour Sailing Club on Wednesday the 21st of February at 8pm and as always all are welcome.  Admission is €5.

Object of the Week - Engraving titles: 'Lace-making in an Irish cottage' 1890

This engraving is based on a drawing by the artist Marianne Stokes (1855-1927).  She was born Preindisberger in Austria.  She settled in England on marrying Adrian Stokes.  

She became one of the leading artists of Victorian England.  It and others were used to illustrate an article on Lismore/Cappoquin in the English Illustrated Magazine.

Francis Hyslop RIP

Waterford County Museum would like to extend our deepest sympathies
to the Hyslop family on the passing of Francis.  Francis' brother in law
Eddie is a long time member of the Waterford County Museum Society.

Object of the Week - Jacob's Viscount biscuit tin c. 1954

The images on the tin depict the Aer Lingus Viscount aircraft and air hostess with the distinctive green colouring.  

Aer Lingus began purchasing the Vickers Viscount 700 in 1951 and they started service in 1954.  They were very popular with passengers.

Object of the Week - Tin Container for Clarke's 'High Toast' Snuff, Dublin

William Clarke & Sons was founded in 1830.  They were based in South Main Street, Cork.  

In 1924 the firm was acquired by Ogdens who transferred the business to Dublin to premises at South Circular Road.  Ogdens were based in Liverpool.

Object of the Week - Carroll's 'Mick McQuaid' tobacco tin c.1920s

Patrick James Carroll opened the first tobacco shop in Dundalk in 1824.  In 1864 his son joined and modernised the firm.  In 1889 the company introduced the Mick McQuaid brand.  

Mick first appeared as a character in The Shamrock magazine in the 1880s.  In the 1920s the company introduced a drawing of Mick on their tins and adverts.  The Mick McQuaid brand was   
discontinued in 2016.                                                   

January 2018 - Recent Publications

The Museum supplied photographs to two recently launched publications.

‘A History of the Dungarvan GAA Club from 1885-2017’ by Tony Ryan, and ‘Dunmore East – A Living History’ by Maria Walsh.

Both books come highly recommended and are available in local outlets.

Object of the Week - Poyser's Ceylon Tea Box

This box with stencilled lettering was used to house tea.  The box was sold from Sheehan’s shop in Main Street, Dungarvan.

The inscription states that the tea is ‘Direct from Colombo’.

Poyser’s were tea merchants in Witty Grove, Manchester.


Nancy Daly RIP

We were saddened to hear of the death of Nancy Daly of Ballinacourty who was a long time member of the Museum Society.  Nancy regularly attended Museum events which she thoroughly enjoyed and was a valued member of the Museum.  Our condolences to her family and friends.

17th January 2018 Lecture - Philip Barron, Man of Mystery by Áine Uí Fhoghlú

We are delighted to announce that we will be commencing our 2018 lecture season with a talk that is sure to be of immense interest called 'Philip Barron, Man of Mystery' by Áine Uí Fhoghlú.

Áine will offer an illustrated look at the life and achievements of Philip Barron of Stradbally who founded (probably) the first ever Irish language college in the country, in Bunmahon in 1835.

So who was Philip Barron, what was his contributiion to the area, and to the country?  What became of him and why is he not more widely known in Irish history?  Áine will be shedding light on these questions.

Áine Uí Fhoghlú lives in An Rinn with her family.  She has a number of poetry books to her credit and was a writer in residence with Co. Kilkenny VEC.  Áine has also won many awards for her poetry including the prestigious Irish language prize at Dún Laoghaire International Poetry Competition and the Michael Hartnett Poetry Prize.  She also has a keen interest in local history.

This looks like being a very interesting and enjoyable talk, and is not to be missed!


Venue:             Clubhouse, Dungarvan Harbour Sailing Club, Davitt's Quay, Dungarvan

Date:                Wednesday 17th January 2018

Time:                8pm

Admission:      €5

Object of the Week - Printed Poster - A souvenir of the 31st Eucharistic Congress held in Dublin 1932

The congress was held from the 22nd to 26th June 1932.  About one million people attended the main open air mass in Phoenix Park at which Count John McCormack sang.  

The poster was printed by Irish Catholic Art Publishing.

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.
Email:

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design