Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Stories from Old Newspapers

 Sligo Champion 3 March 1838

Loss of a Liverpool vessel, her crew and cargo in Ardmore Bay.

The vessel alluded to in the following letter is supposed to be the Sir Howard Douglas. Not one of the crew has escaped, and we fear that their fate has been shared by the crew of another vessel - a schooner whose name or destination has not reached us - ashore near Cable Island.

To the editor of the Cork Constitution Ardmore Feb 16, 1838

A most disastrous shipwreck occurred in the bay within the last six hours. About one o'clock, a.m., the half tide, a large three masted vessel was seen to drift before wind and tide into the south east angle of Ardmore Bay. She beached side foremast almost instantly upon a fine sandy bottom. The crew at this time cut away the foremast, which went overboard with the top of the mainmast. This was the time for the crew to have made some effort to save themselves by rafts, or boats. In about half an hour after striking she became embedded in the sand, evidently filled with water; the crew were now all on deck, lashed to the timber near the stern, and they and they appeared like so many inanimate beings; the tide at this time receding, it was hoped by those on shore that at low water the vessel might be reached, but in vain, all efforts were useless, - no boat could go against the wind and tide. Besides the surf ran mountains high. It was now evident all help from shore was out of the question - signals were made to the crew to leave the vessel at all risks - but no - they seemed unheeded. All this time spars were every moment leaving the ship and floating to shore, and even the ship's boats from off the deck; still the crew sent no rope to shore, or ventured on the spars; the deep water only continued for about 100 yards... there it was only knee deep, and that 100 yards might with the aid of the wind, be passed in five minutes - the crew in fact appeared stupefied... It was dreadfully painful to witness the return of the tide... at four o'clock the crew got into the rigging, and the sea washed over the deck. A little after, one of the masts fell, and all were crowded on the remaining one, there they hung, a most melancholy object to contemplate, their number appeared about 12. Night closed, and left those unhappy beings in their awful situation, on a single plank amidst a raging sea....About six o'clock the vessel broke up. Hogsheads, boxes etc, floated on shore - the shore in fact was covered with the wreck and cargo, but not one human being came to land. Several respectable persons in the neighbourhood were on shore the entire time, waiting to afford every aid.... The water guard are at present protecting the wreck.


Shipwreck along Irish Coastline



 

 

Museum Talk

Our last talk of the series for 2022 was given by Bernadette Guest, Waterford City and County Heritage Officer. The talk was well attended. Bernadette outlined many projects completed or to be completed by the end of this year, such as the Knockboy Church, Kilgobinet etc.  She detailed the many Decades of Centenaries Projects \which were initiated by local communities around the county.  She mentioned the eagerly awaited book on the Cumann na mBan, compiled by Eddie Cantwell and Chrissy Knight O' Connor.

Waterford County Museum would like to thank Merry's Gastro Pub, Main Street Dungarvan for facilitating are talks this year.



Stories from Old Newspapers

 Freeman’s journal 5th December 1907

A special interest attaches this to tonight’s performance by the Carl Rosa Company of Balfe’s evergreen opera “The Bohemian Girl”, in as much as an old favourite Irish tenor, Mr. Patrick O’Shea will be heard in the part of Thaddeus.  Mr. O’ Shea, who is a native of Lismore, Co. Waterford, had formerly been a useful member of the Carl Rosa Company in the ‘eighties’, but in 1900 he threw himself into the Irish Ireland Movement, and devoted his energies to the rendition of traditional Irish songs, appearing with conspicuous success at all the big concerts in England, Scotland, Ireland and America from 1901 to 1906. 

Now that he has again joined the Carl Rosa Company, it goes without saying that he will be accorded a heady ovation in an opera composed by a Irishman, Michael William Balfe.  It may be of interest to mention that ‘The Bohemian Girl’ was first produced in Drury Land London, on No 27th 1843, when Harrison sang the part of Thaddeus.

Patrick O’ Shea was born in Lismore in 1872 and educated at Mount Melleray.

In 1898 he won the men’s singing prise at the Oireachtas, in 1903 he was described as ‘Irelands own tenor’. In May 1919 a memorial concert was held in Dublin in his honour. The Carl Rosa Company was founded in 1873 by Carl Rosa, a German musical impresario.

The Freeman’s Journal 8th April 1919 published his obituary:

“Numerous friends and admires will regret to hear of the death of Mr. Patrick O’Shea, the well known Irish tenor, which took place at his residence, 52 South Richmond Street, yesterday.  Mr. O’Shea’s early success was with the Ludwig concert party (Dublin born William Ledwidge (1847-1923) had his own touring company: Ludwig concert party in the 1890’s), with whom he toured Ireland, England and Scotland.

“Pat” as he was familiarly known to his friends, enjoyed great popularly at home and aboard.  His voice was of a pure and sympathetic quality…he was the first professional singer who sang songs in Irish on leading concert platforms, and his appearances at the Queen’s Hall and Albert Hall… were always popular musical events”

 


Stories from Old Newspapers

 Cork Examiner 11 January 1868

Soiree in Cappoquin

On Twelfth Night a fashionable soiree was held in the Reading-rooms here. It was attended by most of the respectable inhabitants of this and the neighbouring towns, and patronized by the worthy pastor of the parish, the Rev. Michael Spratt, P.P., who is ever anxious and ready to forward any movement tending towards the advancement and reasonable enjoyment of his parishioners.

On this occasion he not only gave the use of the reading-rooms, but kindly and warmly announced the soiree and the object of it from the altar. It is to this mainly due, seconded by the earnest exertions of the gentlemen of the committee, that it has been so successful, leaving in the hands of the treasurer, Mr. J.E. Walsh, a handsome balance towards supplying the wants of our chapel. The extensive rooms were carefully festooned with evergreens, which were kindly given by Mrs. Chearnley, Salterbridge, to the members of the committee. When the company assembled, with the numerous lights and the soul-stirring music of the brass band, specially engaged for the occasion, it was indeed a festive scene. Dancing continued until one a.m., when a most recherché supper was laid, to which 130 guests were together seated. The caterer was Mr. M. Morrissey, Hotel, Cappoquin. To all who know him, it is enough to say, that everything was in his best style. All the mysteries of the cuisine were exhausted, and nothing was wanting that could add to the appearance of the board or the wishes of the most fastidious epicure. When the supper, dessert and wines, were fully discussed, the band again struck up dance music, and on the ‘light fantastic toe’, with unflagging spirit, the company held the floor till morning. Special credit belongs to…the Rev. P. Spratt. C.C., who remained to witness all the enjoyment of the night, and to the members of the committee, Messrs M. Morrissey. T.F. Bayley, J.E. Walsh, M.F. Phelan, C.J. O’Connell, and J. Morrissey, for their untiring exertions to render the soiree what it has been – a complete success.

 

 

St Mary's Roman Catholic Church Cappoquin


Stories from Old Newspapers

 

Dungarvan Observer 2 March 1925

West Waterford Hunt Ball

The West Waterford Hunt Ball was held this year in Dromana [House] on February 24th. Supper was supplied by Messrs Mills, Dublin, was served at 11.30. Mr Manahan [W.A. Manahan] and some of his orchestra provided the music. Mr Dawson, head gardener at Dromana, designed and carried out all the floral decorations both in the ballroom and supper room, Mr. Villiers-Stuart, M.F.H., and his sister acted as host and hostess, and there were present over 100 guests. Some came from 40 or 50 miles away, but mainly it was a friendly little affair, all the members of the hunt dancing with each other.

Many of the gentlemen wore pink coats, which makes hunt balls so picturesque. Amongst those present were – Lady Patricia Beresford, Miss Clodagh Anson, Miss Musgrave, Miss Percival Maxwell, Miss Stella Annesley, Miss Barbara Villiers-Stuart, Miss St John Murphy, Mr. R.H. Keane, Capt. Holroyd Smyth, Mr. G.H. Russell, Capt. Alexander, Mr. P Rohan, Mr. Sharpe Bolster, Mr. Hallinan, Capt. Newenham, Mr. Cecil Smyth, Hon Claud Anson, Mr. John Perry, Mr. Cecil Hodgson, Mr. Pennyfeather, Mr. Sheil Walshe, Mr. & Mrs P. Walsh, Mr. & Mrs Fitzgerald, Miss White, Miss Godfrey, Miss Laura Power, Mr. Michael O’Brien, Mr. Murphy, Secretary West Waterford Hunt, and Mrs Murphy, Mr. Curran, Capt. Wall, Mr M O’Brien, and Miss O’Brien, etc.


Dromana House Circa 1890


 

 

 

GallowsHill Landscape Vision Study

 

Prepared by Paul Hogarth Company, is now available to view at the Waterford County Museum during normal opening hours.




Ardmore Book

 Ardmore – Memory and Story Book

The History, Traditions and Stories of an Irish Village

By Siobhan Lincoln

Stories of growing up in an Irish village told with a "blend of history, tradition and humour". Siobhán Lincoln records the social history of Ardmore village, tales of school days, dances, fishing, work, language and tradition. This book will be of interest to anyone who wants a picture of life in rural Ireland from the late 19th century to the dawning of the Millennium.



This book can be purchased at County Waterford Museum.

Paperback €20

Hardback €25

Museum's Next Talk 11th May

The Museum is happy to announce our talk for the month of May.

This is our final talk of the series and carries the title; ‘Waterford Heritage – Plans, Projects and Partnerships.’ The Speaker is Waterford County Heritage Officer Bernadette Guest.  The Heritage Officer’s function is extremely broad… Some of the principal area’s addressed by the Heritage Officer include; local heritage plans; Advice and Information for local Authority Staff; Heritage Appraisal; Public Relations; Public Consultation; Strategies, Policies and Projects.

The Museum Society over the years has had numerous occasions to call on the expertise of the County Heritage officer for advice and assistance.

The talk will be held upstairs at Merry’s Gastro Bar, Lower Main Street, Dungarvan.

Date: Wednesday May 11th

Time at 8p.m. and all are welcome

The usual admission fee of €5

 

Ardmore- Memory & Story Book

  

Ardmore – Memory and Story Book

The History, Traditions and Stories of an Irish Village

By Siobhan Lincoln

Stories of growing up in an Irish village told with a "blend of history, tradition and humour". Siobhán Lincoln records the social history of Ardmore village, tales of school days, dances, fishing, work, language and tradition. This book will be of interest to anyone who wants a picture of life in rural Ireland from the late 19th century to the dawning of the Millennium.



This book can be purchased at County Waterford Museum.

Paperback €20

Hardback €25

Stories from Old Newspapers

 

Waterford News 3 April 1904

‘Peaceful Dungarvan’ – RIC Vacate Grattan Square H.Q.

‘During the week a noteworthy event took place in the Old Borough, namely the removal of the Constabulary from their old quarters in Grattan Square, which they had occupied for a period extending over twenty years. Their abode henceforward will be the Military Barracks, situated at the extreme end of the town, and with which are connected many historic incidents that have often been recounted in graphic style by Sergeant Grace, the barrack sergeant. The former residence of the police is the property of Mr John R Dower, the popular and genial clerk of the Union, and it is to be converted into a branch of the Bank of Ireland. The departure of the ‘black jackets’ from the locality named, was not, altogether approved of, as the presence of Head Constable Kidney and the men, under his charge, tended, no doubt, to the good order and amenities between them and the civilians’.

This account does not match that given by Edmond Keohan in his Illustrated History of Dungarvan (1924), in which he states that the RIC barrack was on the site of Flynn’s Hotel, which in 1924 was Meade’s Restaurant.

 

Group of people outside Meades June 1951 ( This was the former location of the RIC Barracks in Dungarvan)


Stories from Old Newspapers

 

Waterford News 26 July 1890

Father John Power, Rathgormack and the People of Dungarvan

On Sunday last a deputation comprising Mr. P.McCarthy, Chairman of Committee; Mr. Michael Flynn, T.C.; Mr. Wm Morrissey, Assistant Secretary National League; Rev. F.C. Prendergast, Treasurer; and E O’Shea, Secretary ‘Suppressed’ branch, attended at Rathgormack for the purpose of presenting Father John Power with the illuminated address, copy of which was publicly presented on the 28th March last. Rev. Michael Power, C.C., late of Old Parish and Ring, and Mr. Adam Power, also joined the party. The address was beautifully designed and executed in the highest style of art by Mr. J.D. McCoy, Waterford.

Painted views of Dungarvan and Clonea churches, with several other local gems of scenery, were artistically arranged on the border, while the top bore the Dungarvan arms, surmounted by a harp, and underneath an excellent photo of the forenamed gentleman himself. Mr. E O’Shea…said…on behalf of the people of Dungarvan to present the address…he found it difficult to give adequate expression to the depth and intensity of love and esteem in which Father Power was held by the people of the parish of Dungarvan…that when the Irish Nation had succeeded in bringing this struggle of centuries to a close, the names of Father John Power, late of Dungarvan, and Father Michael Power, now of Kilsheelan, would be cherished…Father John Power in responding, thanked the members of the deputation for the beautiful address. He desired the members of the deputation to convey back to the loving and patriotic people of the Old Borough, his deep and lasting affection for them, his delight that they are still keeping the flag flying, despite the puny efforts of Balfour and his serfs…It is worthy of note that when leaving Dungarvan the cars of the deputation were followed for five miles into the country by the emergency car and again when reaching Rathgormack Father Power’s house was closely watched by police. Such are the Balfourian methods of 19th century government.

 

 

Mayfield House Sold

 We were happy to see that the ruined Mayfield House in Portlaw has been sold, to be restored as a hotel. The once magnificent mansion was the home of the Malcolmson family who started the cotton factory in Portlaw.

 

Museum Talk

Full House for Ballyvoile Talk

The talk was given by Stradbally historian Cian Flaherty who recently published a book on the Ballyvoile ambush which is now sold out.  There was a lively question and answer session afterwards. We would like to thank Merry’s Gastro pub for facilitating the event.

 


Emily Ussher Memoir now online

 

Emily Ussher (nee Jebb), wife of Beverly Ussher of Cappagh House wrote a memoir of her life at Cappagh from 1914 to 1925 titled “The True story of a Revolution”.

The R.C.B. library have digitised their copy of the manuscript with the introduction by Waterford historian Pat Mc Carthy.  The memoir can be accessed on the www.ireland.anglican.org  Click on “News” and within the article is a link “click here” which will bring up a PDF of the 260 page typed manuscript.

 

Stories from Old Newspapers

 

Cork Examiner 8 October 1886

New Stained-Glass windows, Presentation Convent Dungarvan

‘Resurrection of Old Irish Art’

In the chapel of the Presentation Convent of Dungarvan, Co Waterford, one of the finest set of windows which can be seen in this land has just been completed. There are fourteen windows in all, which have been erected In the new openings of the chapel which has recently been remodeled in the Hiberno-Norman style of architecture, after the plans of Walter W Doolin, Esq., architect of Dublin, who has very cleverly changed an ordinary upper room into a handsome and unique basilica. The windows are in two series – nine in the choir, and five in the sanctuary. Those in the choir (or nave) consist of two lights, circular-headed, surmounted by an “aureola”. They are filled with the most elaborate traceried panels, all designed after the old Irish examples of ornament, derived from Mss and the sculptured and metal work of Erin. In the centre of the windows is shown a scene of Our Lord’s life, beginning at the “Presentation of Our Lady in the Temple”. These scenes are beautifully designed and are executed in rich and harmonious tints…In the sanctuary are four semi-circular headed windows containing the most exquisitely designed figures of the Saviour, the Blessed Virgin, St. Patrick, and St. Brigid, all with emblems and surmounted by Celtic ornament and borders. The lettering even of the texts on these windows is Irish. The work is executed in real antique glass, and the colours are in the glass or metal itself, and not painted on the surface only…In the dome over the altar is a circular light representing the Holy Spirit the Paraclete, surrounded by rays of glory. They have been designed and executed by the widely known artistic firm of Cox, Sons, Buckley and Co., of London and New York. Mr Buckley himself having given the utmost attention to all the details of our national art, being himself an Irish artist and archaeologist. The same firm has lately executed some splendid ones in the Celtic style in the noble new church at Lismore, Co Waterford.





 

 

 


Next Museum Talk on April 6th

The next Museum talk will be held on Wednesday 6th April 2022 at 8p.m.

The new venue is upstairs at Merry’s Gastro Bar, Lower Main Street, Dungarvan.

The topic will be The Ballyvoile Ambush by Cian Flaherty. 

Admission €5

 




Stories from Old Newspapers

 Waterford Standard 20 March 1901

Death of Mr. Ambrose Congreve D.L.

It is with regret we chronicle in our issue of today the death of the above-named gentleman, which occurred at his residence, Mount Congreve, on Friday last. Although ailing for some time past, and his death being thus quite expected, it will, nevertheless, come as a surprise to many of the leading families in the county. The name of Congreve has been associated with the annals of Waterford for the past couple of centuries, and we understand that they were a branch of the family to which the celebrated dramatist of the same name belonged. The deceased was a great athlete in his youth, and served as a Lieutenant in the 2nd Life Guards, being considered one of the finest men in his day in the British Army. The Earl of Listowel was one of his intimate companions, and during his military service he often played a racquet with the Prince of Wales…He was the possessor of ample estates both in Waterford and Kilkenny, and the family residence at Mount Congreve, is, as all our readers are aware, one of the most picturesque spots on the river Suir. In the early part of the last century the family took an active interest in the civic and social affairs of the city, spending a considerable portion of the year in their town house in John Street (now Messrs Thomas Walsh & Sons, furniture warehouse). During his illness he was attended by Dr Jackman of this city.

The deceased was born on the 13 March, 1832, was a son of the late Mr John Congreve, and the Hon. Louisa Congreve, was a daughter of the then Lord Clonbrock, of Ahascragh, Co Galway. He married in the year 1866, the Hon. Alice Dillon, who predeceased him. The latter was the daughter of the late Lord Clonbrock, the father of the present peer. There were six children of the marriage, of whom, a daughter, died a few years ago. Capt John Congreve, Eldest son and heir of the late Ambrose Congreve is at present in South Africa attached to the Border Regiment, the other children are Ambrose, Leopold, and two daughters, Ellen and Violet. He leaves three sisters, namely – Miss Augusta Congreve, Miss Louisa Congreve, and the Baroness Von Oesterreicher, who resides on the Continent. The funeral will leave Mount Congreve today for Kilmeaden, where the remains will be interred.       

 

Entrance Facade Mt. Congreve


 


Dunhill History Lectures with Julian Walton - Series 2022

 

The next lecture in this series is as follows:

Date: Thursday 31st March

Time: 7pm

Location: Dunhill Multi- Educational Centre

Speaker: Mr. William Fraher

Topic:  A most magnificent place' - A history of the garden and demesne of Curraghmore House.”

 


R I C Trunk Donation

 

Mrs. Helen Aplin (UK) donating her grandfathers (Mr. William Stephens) R I C trunk, to Mr. William Fraher Curator of Waterford County Museum.  Mr. William Stephens was an R I C sergeant in Stradbally until 1908.





Stories from Old Newspapers

 

Waterford News 20 April 1900

‘Second to none’ – Marquis of Waterford visits St Brigid’s Well Brewery and Lawlor’s Hotel

The marquis of Waterford [John Henry de la Poer Beresford, 6th marquis] visited St Brigid’s Well Brewery on Tuesday. It was his lordship’s first visit to Dungarvan, and he seemed to enjoy it. The Marquis was accompanied by Sir Owen Slack [Sir Owen Randal Slacke (1837-1910] and Captain Gethin [estate manager at Curraghmore]. The distinguished visitors were met at the station by W E Cartwright, Esq, manager of St Brigid’s Well Brewery. The brewery premises were visited and gone through by the party. Mr. Cartwright explained the working of the several departments.

The chiefs of the clerical staff, Messrs Coghlan and Flynn, with the men of the staff, received the visitors enthusiastically, and after a stay of upwards of two hours, during which the Brewery Lodge and the grounds (residence of Mr. and Mrs. Cartwright) were visited, his lordship and the party received a hearty parting cheer from the employees of the brewery.

Subsequently the marquis, Sir Owen Slack, Capt. Gethin, Mr. Cartwright, and Mr. Nugent Humble, lunched at Lawlor’s Hotel, and his lordship expressed the pleasure which he felt, not only at his cordial reception, but at the excellent manner in which the hotel staff, under the direction of Mrs Lawlor, had anticipated every wish of the visitors. His lordship was delighted with the cheerful and comfortable apartments of the hotel, and expressed to his friends before leaving the great pleasure it would give him to inform his friends in London that there was at least one hotel in the South of Ireland which could be classed as second to none in its management, comfort, cuisine, and moderate charges, to be found across the Channel. We congratulate Mr. and Mrs Lawlor on this excellent testimony to their expense and enterprise…which is so well known and highly appreciated by all visitors to the Old Borough.

 

Lawlors Hotel Circa 1910
Lawlors Hotel circa 1910


 


Stories from Old Newspapers

 Dungarvan Observer 24 May 1930

Beautiful Gardens Thrown Open

In order to obtain funds for the Jubilee Nurses’ Association some of the best- known and most picturesque of the stately mansions of the county Waterford have been thrown open, and in our previous issue we detailed how successful the event was from every point of view. On Thursday last the beautiful grounds and residence of Lady Musgrave at Tourin were the venue of a big gathering. The rock garden came in for general admiration, and visitors were charmed with the delightful view of the Blackwater, which the demesne affords. The old castle, situated in the estate, was viewed with much interest. Lady Musgrave received the guests and had a very able assistant in Captain Jameson, who acted as guide and instructor. His botanical knowledge was highly appreciated. The new squash racket court which has been laid out in the grounds was available for those who wished to use it.

The beautiful grounds of Moorehill, Tallow, were also thrown open to the public by Mr & Mrs Percival Maxwell…The shrubs were much admired, while the rhododendrons were splendid. A splendid view was obtained of the rich parklands cut out from the terraces at the north side of the house, which the picturesque River Bride winding its serpentine course but added enchantment to the scene. The trees all over the estate are charming.

Whitfield Court, the delightful residence of Lady Susan Dawnay was also thrown open a few days ago, and the attendance was very large. The spacious mansion with its elaborate gardens and grounds evoked much admiration. On Thursday May 22, the stately mansion, gardens, and grounds of Dromana were open to the public by Mr Ion Villiers-Stuart and the attendance was very large.


Lady Musgrave's's Rock Garden at Tourin 


 

 

 


First Museum Talk for 2022

The Museum held its first talk for 2022, last Wednesday night the 9th of March, in the 'Cunnigar Room’ at Crews Restaurant in Quay Lane.   The speaker was Mr. William Fraher, on his recent  new book The Bad Times – Revolution and the Big House in Co Waterford. 

There was an excellent turn out of people for this first talk and great interest and feedback from the attendees, which set a very positive and productive start to the  Museum's talks for 2022.




The late Hal Chavasse


 

Hal Chavasse, Cappagh

Waterford County Museum was saddened to hear of the passing of Hal Chavasse of Cappagh a long-standing member of the museum society. Hal was an enthusiastic attendee at our lectures and had visited the museum in January to pay his membership and to purchase a copy of Willie Fraher’s book, The Bad Times which features Cappagh House and the Ussher family. We extend our sympathy to the Chavasse family. Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam dilis.



Hal Chavasse and Barbara Grubb  2016






Bad Times Book Launch

 

Bad Times Book Launch

Willie Fraher new book The Bad Times, Waterford Country Houses During the Revolutionary Period was launched last Saturday in the Garden Room at Woodhouse Easte courtesy of Jim and Sally Thompson. The garden looked splendid in the winter sunshine. Amongst the attendees were Joanne Rothwell, Waterford City & Co Archivist, Bernadette Guest, City & County Heritage Officer, members of the Centenary Committee, Trustees of Waterford County Museum, Kevin Hurley, President of the Cork branch of the Irish Georgian Society, and a number of owners of the houses featured in the book.

The official opening was performed by Cllr Joe Kelly, Mayor of Waterford City & County. He praised the author for this work as curator of the county museum and for this book which gave a different insight into this turbulent period in our history. The author then spoke and thanked those who gave him access to documents and photographs. In particular, he thanked well-known historian Julain Walton, and Stradbally historian Cian Flaherty for their invaluable assistance.

When the formal proceedings concluded guests were provided with refreshments organised by events manager Jennifer Reeve and her staff. Thanks to museum staff, Paulus, Marie, and Tony, for looking after the book sales.


William Fraher (Author) -addressing crowd at the "Bad Times" Book Launch


 

Stories from Old Newspapers

 Dungarvan Observer April 1918

Captain of Lismore Volunteers Arrested

‘Capt. J.J. Madden, of the local corps of volunteers, was arrested at 8.30p.m. on Tuesday morning by Sergt. Hannan and Constable Lyne charged with illegal drilling and unlawful assembly.

He was brought before Mr Gerald Griffin, R.M., Waterford, during the day and remanded to Dungarvan Petty Sessions on Saturday, 6th April. At the 4.25p.m. train by which he was removed to Cork Jail, an unusually large crowd filled the platform and gave several cheers for the popular captain, besides singing ‘The Soldier’s Song’ as the train steamed in. Mr John Goulding travelled to Cork with the prisoner. A force of ten policemen marched to the station with Mr Madden, three of whom formed an escort. Mr. Madden, who is a native of Nenagh, was Professor at the Christian Brothers’ College here, and was most popular with all classes’.

Also arrested at the time were John Keyes and George Lennon of Dungarvan. Lennon later wrote that conditions in the jail were terrible: ‘there was no heat of any kind…beds were mere benches, barred windows were devoid of glass and food was of an appalling poor standard’.  


Cork Jail




 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Museum Talks

 


We are delighted to start up our talks again after such a long absence. The first one of 2022 will be:

The Bad Times – Revolution and the Big House in Co Waterford by William Fraher. 

The talk is based on his recent book. The talk will be held on Wednesday 9 March at 8p.m.

The new venue is the ‘Cunnigar Room’ at Crews in Quay Lane, Dungarvan.

 Admission 5 including refreshments.

The Bad Times – Waterford Country Houses During The Revolutionary Period By William Fraher

 New Book

This fascinating book that focuses on the impact of the War of Independence / Civil War on the owners of big houses in County Waterford. Most of these houses were modest in size and some were hunting lodges. This book approaches the subject from the viewpoint of the owners of the Big Houses and how it impacted on their lives and their attitudes to England and the new emerging Ireland.  The role of the house and estate staff is also examined. It looks at the efforts of the owners to obtain compensation to rebuild their houses which were burned or damaged. Fortunately, a number of primary sources became available during the research which have now been brought together for the first time. This book also looks at how this period is covered in unpublished local eye-witness accounts written by Anglo-Irish women.  These are key primary sources by Emily Ussher of Cappagh House, Mildred Dobbs of Camphire House, the Hon. Mary Olivia de la Poer of Gurteen le Poer, Beatrix, Lady Osborne Beauclerk and Frida Keane of Cappoquin. There are numerous illustrations of the various different houses and related aspects connected to them.



The cost of this book is €20, and is available to purchase at Waterford County Museum, Friary Street Dungarvan. If you purchase this book at the Museum you can get an exclusive signed copy by the author.  The Book is also available at David Walsh Office supplies shop Main Street, Dungarvan, Eason’s Dungarvan Shopping Centre and The Book Centre Waterford City.  This publication was supported by the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media under the Decade of Centenaries 2012-2013 initiatives and Waterford City and County Council Commemorations Committee.

New Museum Committee/Trustees 2022

 

The following were elected at our recent AGM:


·         Chairperson:              Christina Flynn

·         Vice Chair Person:     Tom Broderick

·         Secretary:                   Christine King

·         Treasurer:                   Paula Uí Uallacháin


Trustees


·         Eddie Cantwell

·         Thomas Phelan

·         Irma Costello

·         Tony Fitzgerald

·         Paulus Van Heesewijk

·         Chrissy Knight O'Connor

·         Mary Giblin

·         Denis Barron

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.
Email:

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design