Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Marble and Stone Memorials - Cody Monument, St Mary's Parish Church


The Cody family were important Catholic merchants in Dungarvan throughout the 19th century and Cody’s Quay at The Lookout is named after them.

The Waterford News of 11 December 1863 published a detailed report on the erection of a memorial to Patrick Cody in St Mary’s Parish Church cemetery. Cody was one of the wealthiest Dungarvan merchants along with John R Dower and Andrew Carbery. In 1855 he was elected as one of the first Town Commissioners. He had many business interests, butter and bacon merchant, coal dealer, ship owner, grocer, and ship chandler.  

‘A handsome monument has been erected in the new chapel yard of this town by William Cody, Esq., merchant to the memory of his beloved father Patrick Cody, merchant. The design is in the modern Gothic style, most admiringly executed…since thrown open to view hundreds have visited the place, and all have pronounced it a masterpiece of art in its way, which reflects great credit on the designer and the parties who in Dublin so tastefully executed the work. It stands about twenty feet high…the superstructure is raised about five feet high, and on each side there is a black slab neatly polished, set in Gothic arches…in the centre stands a beautiful and admirable figure of the Blessed Virgin, in white Carrara marble. A spire about twelve feet high terminating with a very handsome cross. The pallisading which surrounds the monument is in the hands of a competent person’.

The monument has the following inscriptions:
Patrick Cody died January 10th 1863, aged 62 years. Margaret Cody his wife died January 31st 1840, aged 38 years. Their children, Nicholas died in infancy, Stephen Patrick died July 2 1858 aged 23. William Joseph died January 8 1870 aged 33, Philomena died December 15 1902.   

Margaret Cody died January 13th 1917, aged 88 years. Hannah Frances Cody died 27 February 1922. 

The article noted that both Patrick and his son William had paid for parts of the internal decoration of the church.Hannah and Frances were unmarried and lived at South Terrace. 

The monument was badly damaged in 2019 when the top section fell over, damaging parts of the stonework but all the pieces are still at the base of the structure. The statue of the Blessed Virgin is not visible, so it is not clear if it survived the damage. 





Marble and Stone Memorials - Hannigan Family Monument, St. Mary's Parish Church

 

This is one of the largest and most elaborate memorials in the cemetery. The main inscription reads: ‘Sacred to the memory of John Hannigan who departed this life April 10th, 1864, aged 63’.  Another side has the following inscription: ‘Ellen Hannigan died Dungarvan November 13th, 1883 aged 69.  And her son James Hannigan, Late Town Clerk who died January 19th, 1885, aged 42. Also, Margaret Agnes beloved wife of James Hannigan who died February 1886 aged 31, and their two children…… and Helen who died young’.

In January 1855 John Hannigan was elected as one of the first Dungarvan Town Commissioners.  He was described as a ‘shopkeeper’ aged 50 with a property valuation of £12, the lowest of all the Commissioners.  In February 1858 he became a shareholder in the new Dungarvan Gasworks.

John was a pawnbroker by profession and in 1848 he and another pawnbroker, Edward Kennefick, answered a query from Mr Burke, Poor Law Inspector, about the effect of the Famine on their business.  In 1862 there is a reference in the council minutes referring to Hannigan’s ‘new house’ in Bridge Street.

When he died in 1864 the Waterford News of 15 April published an obituary of him:

On the 10th inst, Mr John Hannigan, Square, Dungarvan, after a long and protracted illness which he bore with Christian fortitude…The deceased was charitably disposed and gave without ostentation to the needy and afflicted.  A large circle of relatives and friends sympathise with his afflicted wife, who has lost a kind and affectionate husband.

His son James was appointed Town Clerk on 4 January 1884 and was paid £50 per annum. On his death a year later, Thomas Fitzgerald was appointed in his place.

The grave monument is impressive, built of limestone with a square base over which there are deeply carved Greek style motifs, on top of which is a Celtic cross. Who was the stonemason? If there is a maker’s name it is not immediately visible. 




Happy New Year!

 Waterford County Museum would like to wish all our members and visitors a Happy New Year.  

Unfortunately we are closed at present again due to government guidelines but we look forward to seeing you all soon. 

You can still contact the museum by email at info@waterfordmuseum.ie.

All museum events, lectures, etc. are cancelled until further notice.

 

Waterford History Journal - Decies 2020

 


The current issue of Decies, the journal of the Waterford Archaeological and Historical Society is now on sale.  It contains lots of fascinating articles including contributions from Waterford County Museum members:

“Viking age influence in Dungarvan” by Chrissy Knight O’Connor

“James Wyatt (architect) at Curraghmore House” by William Fraher

“Dr. Richard Graves” by Eddie Cantwell

This year’s journal was edited by Peigí Devlin.

It is available for sale in the Book Centre, Waterford City or in Waterford County Museum in Dungarvan.

Price €20.


Congratulations to Gallowshill Community Archaeology

Congratulations to Gallowshill Community Archaeology on winning the Waterford PPN award in the Arts, Culture and Heritage category for 2020.

Gallowshill Community Archaeology has also been awarded a significant grant under the Rural Development Programme of Waterford Leader Partnership for their exciting Architect/Landscape plan in collaboration with residents and Waterford Council in 2021. 

 

Marble and Stone Memorials - Eliza Ahearn Monument, St Mary's Parish Church

This limestone memorial is carved in the style of an obelisk but is circular in shape. It is inscribed:

A tribute of love from her children to the memory of their mother Mrs Eliza Ahearn of the Quay, Dungarvan who died April 25th 1864, aged 57 years.

She had distributed.  She hath given to the Poor.  Her justice remaineth for ever and ever.  Peace to her soul at God’s side to endure.  Peace to the friend of his homeless and poor.  Peace to her loving head fervent and pure.

The mason’s name is prominently carved beneath the inscription:  J. Collins, Waterford.  Egan’s Guide to Waterford 1894 has an advert for: ‘W. Collins & Sons, John Street, Waterford. Monumental Stone & Marble Works of Every Description’.

The Cork Examiner of 29 April 1864 carried a report of her death:

At her residence, the Quay, Dungarvan, on Monday 25 Inst., Mrs Eliza Ahearn at the age of 57 years.  Her remains were conveyed to the Parish Church, followed by a large concourse of relatives and friends, who flocked in vast numbers from the remotest country districts.

After the usual ceremonies…the remains were lowered into the family vault.  Mrs Eliza Ahearne was no ordinary loss.  No more shall the widow’s suffering be alleviated by her pure and unostentatious charity; nor the ever-flowing bounty of her hand assuage the biting pangs of poverty.  The lowly and unrequited children of labour will miss in her the steady friend and indulgent employer – for considerable was the outlay of her capital annually on her extensive commercial premises; and the church to which she had given a gifted and zealous minister, has lost by her a liberal patroness.

Eliza is listed in Slater’s Commercial Directory 1846 as a coal dealer and public house owner on the quay.  According to Griffith’s Valuation 1850 she had property on the quay, Dirty Lane and in Abbeyside.  In 1858 she was one of the top shareholders in the new Dungarvan Gasworks.

Other family relatives include the Kiely and Gibbons families who are also commemorated in this grave.


Eliza Ahearn Monument


W. Collins and Sons advertisement

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.
Email:

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design