Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Marble and Stone Memorials contd.


Boate Memorial, Abbeyside

Murray Memorial, Abbeyside

O'Brien Memorial, Abbeyside

A group of 19th century carved gravestones from Abbeyside.

The Boate gravestone is more detailed with Christ on the cross surrounded by symbols of the passion.  All of them were probably carved by a local stone mason. 

Marble and Stone Memorials - Cornelius J. Sheehan Memorial, St. Mary's Parish Church

Cornelius J. Sheehan Memorial

This memorial is carved of marble on a limestone base by Molloy of Dungarvan & Callan. It has the following inscription:

Erected by Cornelius J. Sheehan

In memory of his beloved wife, Catherine (Nee Landers)

Died 15 February 1920 aged 76 years.

The above Cornelius J. Sheehan Died 12 March 1923 aged 78 years.

His son Patrick Joseph Died 16 March 1932 aged 43 years.

John Sheehan died 20 May 1943.

Cornelius ran the celebrated woollen mill at Ballinamuck, Dungarvan and had a shop at 22 Grattan Square which sold the tweeds he produced. According to the 1911 census he was a native of Co. Limerick and his wife Kate (Catherine) was from Co. Waterford.  The following children are listed:

Dora (aged 22), Shop Assistant; John (aged 21), Wool Spinner; Lena (aged 20), Shop Assistant; Patrick (aged 19), Factory Accountant; Cornelius (aged 18), Wool Spinner.

Cornelius had a Woollen Mill at Kilbeheny near Mitchelstown which he sold in November 1887 and moved to Dungarvan.  The Dungarvan business was a success for a period winning medals and certs at exhibitions such as: the Countess of Cadogan’s Irish textile Exhibition held in Dublin in 1897; Glasgow International Exhibition 1901; the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, St Louis, 1904, and the Irish International Exhibition held in Dublin in 1907.

Woollen Mill

Cornelius J. Sheehan shop front

His obituary in the Waterford News of 23 March noted that he died unexpectedly: ‘For many years he had been contractor for woolen goods to several establishments in the South.  He was a man of the highest probity, an exemplary liver, and a devout Catholic’.  The Mill was sold in 1937.

Waterford County Museum has a small archive on the firm including tweed samples, photos, account books etc. donated by Miss Nell Cullinane.


Marble and Stone Memorials - William Foley Memorial, St. Mary's Parish Church

This is one of the most elaborately decorated Celtic crosses in Dungarvan with decoration on every surface front and back. It was carved in limestone by Molloy of Dungarvan according to an inscription at the base. Patrick Molloy started his business in Kilkenny in 1892 and had branches in Callan and Dungarvan.  His sons continued the business, and it is still thriving today under another generation.

The memorial is inscribed:

Erected by his wife and children

In loving memory of William F Foley, Main Street Dungarvan

Who died 9 March 1926 aged 66 years.

& his grandson John W Hurley, died 7 February 1926 aged 15 years.

His wife Bridget Foley died 13 December 1944.

William’s obituary in the Dungarvan Observer of 14 March 1926 noted that he was ’an upright and honourable man, who had built up a large and lucrative trade.  A sound and thorough Irishman, and always played his part in national affairs, and was ever a generous subscriber to all charitable and patriotic purposes’.

Marble and Stone Memorials - Mulcahy Memorial, St. Mary's Parish Church


This Celtic cross of limestone was carved by Sheedy of Midleton and contains a marble panel inscribed as follows:

In loving Memory of

Patrick Mulcahy died 18-12-1931

Town Clerk Dungarvan 1905-1922

When he was dismissed his post

By the Free State Government

For refusing to take an oath to a British King

His beloved wife Mary Agnes died 23-5-1930

His son Patrick died 6-5-1940

According to the 1911 census the Mulcahy family was living at Abbeyview, Dungarvan in a house owned by John T Hudson.  Patrick (1867-1931) was aged 45 and his profession was given as ‘Accountant and Town Clerk’.  His wife Mary Agnes (1879-1930) was aged 32.  It noted that had been married ten years. Eight children are listed.

The memorial is unusual with its very direct political inscription.  At their meeting of 9 December 1921 Dungarvan UDC welcomed home M. Brennock, T. Fahey and P. Mulcahy after their release from internment in Ballykinlar camp on that day.

Patrick’s obituary noted that he had been ‘in feeble health for some time’ and that he was aged 68.  ‘he resigned some time ago as a protest against doing the juror’s books.  He was a strong follower of the Republican party’.  In August 1933 at a meeting of Dungarvan UDC Mr McCarthy proposed that the council borrow £672 to pay Mulcahys’s family a pension which he did not receive having resigned his post in 1922.  It was seconded by Mr Power and passed unanimously.  This was subject to approval by the Minister for Local Government & Public Health.  We don’t know if the minister approved the request.

Patrick Mulcahy

Marble and Stone Memorials - Edward Greene Memorial, Abbeyside


This very fine memorial is located against the west wall of Abbeyside Church.  It is carved from limestone with a marble plaque containing the inscription.  It was made by ‘O’Shea, Kilkenny and Callan’ who were one of the principal monumental firms in Munster.

The inscription reads:

In memory of Edward Greene M.D.

M.CH., R.V.I.L.M., K. & Q.C. P.I. Late Medical Officer of Bonmahon Dispensary District

Died March 5th 1892 aged 29 years.

This monument was erected by the Personal Friends of Doctor Greene

As a tribute of respect to the memory of a faithful, zealous, and efficient public officer, an esteemed and loyal friend.  A sterling and sincere lover of his country. A thoughtful kind-hearted and devoted friend to the poor and suffering.

The Greene family are extremely well-documented.  Col John Joseph Greene published a Pedigree of the Greene Family in 1899.  Much of his research documents can be found in the Greene Papers in the National Library.  The Greene’s of Old Abbey by Michael Greene (published privately in 2005) features the Co Waterford Greenes in detail.

Edward’s father, Benjamin Greene, was a retired shipwright, and had a pub on The Burgery.  His wife was Honora Fitzgerald.  Edward died of Typhoid and was unmarried.  The Waterford News of 12 March published a short obituary noting that he died at his residence in Knockmahon.  He had lived there for seven years. After a High Mass in St Mary’s Knockmahon, the funeral set out for Abbeyside for the burial.

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design