Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Our Heritage in Stone - Stone Plaques in Dungarvan contd.

 

Christian Brothers School Shandon plaque

Christian Brothers School, Shandon.

The plaque commemorates the opening of a school at Shandon in 1811 by the Christian Brothers.  The brothers moved here from a school they had opened at Main Street in 1807. They also built a single-story house where they lived which still survives at the rear of the Park Hotel.  The brothers moved to a new larger schoolhouse at Mitchel Street in 1835.

This limestone plaque was unveiled by Rev. Brother Keane, Superior, C.B.S., Dungarvan on Sunday 1st July 1956 with Richie Walsh and Tom Kyne in attendance.  The plaque was blessed by Rev. Dan O’Byrne, Curate.  The plaque was designed by architect Mr. Aylward and the contractor was John Hearne and Sons, Waterford.  It was placed on the roofless outer wall of the schoolhouse.  When the site was acquired to build the Park Hotel the ruin of the school was demolished, and the plaque was re-erected on the boundary wall at the front of the hotel.

More information about the C.B.S. can be found in “The Christian Brothers in Dungarvan 1807 – 1992 A Tribute” by Tom Keith


 Unveiling of C.B.S. plaque by Rev. Brother Keane, Superior, at C.B.S. on Sunday 1st July 1956.  The plaque was blessed by Rev. Dan O’Byrne, Curate.  The plaque was designed by architect Mr. Aylward and the contractor was John Hearne and Sons, Waterford.



Carvings at Saint Augustine’s church, Abbeyside.

We don’t know what the original Augustinian abbey looked like and the cloisters and living accommodation are long gone.  However, fragments of carvings can still be seen set into the 19th century parish church.  The most detailed is a square limestone plaque with a griffin and three scallop shells.  Three shells are the symbol of St James.  It has been suggested that this is the arms of the abbey, but it does not seem to be the case.  It is possibly part of a family tomb but what family still remains a mystery.  Next to it on the side of one of the church windows is a sandstone head of a bishop carved in a naive medieval style.  It is doubtful if it is old but was probably carved by one of the 19th century stonemasons building the church.  It may represent Saint Augustine.  High up on the gable wall of the church next to the entrance door there are ancient fragments of possible capitals from the tops of pillars.

On the north wall of the ruined abbey church is a fine limestone doorway or tomb recess with vine leaf decoration.  Beneath it lies the tomb of Donal McGrath dated to 1470.


Carvings at St. Augustine's church, Abbeyside


McGrath Tomb Archway


New Book by Dungarvan poet Pádraig J. Daly


Dungarvan born poet Pádraig J. Daly has a new book of poetry out titled “A Small Psalter” published by Scotus Books.  One of the poems titled “Déisibh Mumhan” references local place names.

There is an introduction by Jack Harte who says “His vision has been at once profoundly spiritual and profoundly humanitarian.  He is exactly the kind of writer that people should read as an antidote to the superficiality of our age”….

Museum Book featured on The Ryan Tubridy Show

 



We were delighted last week to get a mention on the Ryan Tubridy Show about one of our recent publications entitled “Desperate Haven” which is the story of the famine in the Dungarvan Union.  Ryan has a great interest in Irish history and said he looks forward to visiting the museum.

"Desperate Haven" is available to buy from the Book Centre, Waterford City and Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan priced €20. To buy it online search for "Waterford County Museum" on Amazon. Profits go towards supporting the museum.

 

Buy Our Books 

Desperate Haven

The story of the famine in Dungarvan & West Waterford. 

 

The Comeraghs "Gunfire & Civil War"

History of the Déise Brigade IRA 1914-1924. The story of the conflict in the words of the volunteers who fought. 

 

The Towns & Villages of the Waterford Greenway

A history of Dungarvan, Abbeyside, Stradbally, Kilmacthomas, Portlaw & Waterford City. 

 



Our Heritage in Stone - Stone plaques in Dungarvan contd.

 

Moresby Plaque - The Lookout


Moresby Plaque – The Lookout

This limestone memorial which has the Dungarvan crest on the top commemorates the men who volunteered to man the lifeboat which saved seven crew members from the ship Moresby on Christmas Eve 1895.

It has another inscription on the reverse which is now hidden with the following inscription:

To commemorate the bravery of the Dungarvan lifeboat volunteers in their noble efforts to rescue the crew of the Moresby 24 Decr 1895.

It appears that there was an objection to the use of the name ‘Dungarvan’ in the inscription. 



St. Patrick Street - Name Plaque

St Patrick Street - Name Plaque

This limestone plaque was until recent years on a wall at the entrance to Keating Street leading from O’Connell Street.  It is now on display in Waterford County Museum.  Before Keating Street was constructed this area consisted of St Patrick’s Street, St Nicholas’ Street and St David’s Street, all built by the Duke of Devonshire between 1808 and 1822 to create 40- shilling freeholders.



The Infant School - Church Street

Lost Plaques

The Infant School – Church Street

This plaque was placed over the Church Street entrance to the infant School but was removed in recent years when the site was redeveloped. The architect of the school was Henry Sinnott, who designed other buildings in Dungarvan, the most impressive being the Catholic Young Men’s Society Rooms in Bridge Street (now Bank House). It is inscribed:

Convent of Our Lady of Mercy

INFANT SCHOOL

DUNGARVAN

ANNO DOMINI 1862

In September 1867 the nuns organized a ‘Grand Fancy Bazaar’ to pay off the debt on the school.  Amongst the patrons were: Lady Stuart de Decies, Countess of Bessborough, Lady Gwendolne Power O’Shee and the Countess of Dartrey.



No. 24 Church Street

No. 24 Church Street

The sketch illustrates two stone plaques which were set into the façade of No. 24 Church Street.  They were inscribed: K.G.M. 1714 and H.B.S. 1761

This house is one of the oldest continuously inhabited houses in Dungarvan and legend recalls that it was in this house that Cromwell’s second- in-command, General Michael Jones, died in 1649.  The house may well date to the 17th century and the two plaques may relate to subsequent modifications.

But what do the initials on the plaques stand for?  These may record a marriage – the top initial is the surname of the husband, the bottom left his Christian name and that on the bottom right his wife’s initial.

The 1714 stone may record George Keane and his wife Mary, a prominent citizen who died in 1743.  The 1761 stone probably records Beverly Hearn (1704-1773) and his wife Susanna (1706-1773).  He was the son of John Hearn of Shanakill House and was an officer in the Regiment of Dragoons in 1756.  By the time of his death in 1773 he was living at Mount Odell.

Presumably, this George Keane and Beverly Hearn were the same people listed as agents to the Hore family estate in Dungarvan and Shandon. Keane from 1716 to his death and Hearn from 1750 to c.1775.  The house in Church Street was part of the Hore estate.

Sadly, these plaques are no longer visible.

Museum Closed

 


Waterford County Museum is closed from Wednesday 7th October as per government guidelines.  We look forward to seeing you all again soon.

In the meantime you can still contact the museum by email at: info@waterfordmuseum.ie.

All museum events, lecture, etc. are cancelled until further notice.

Our Heritage in Stone - Stone Plaques in Dungarvan

Walking around Dungarvan and Abbeyside there are stone plaques, almost all of limestone, which record or commemorate an event, street, building or person. We pass by these without noticing them most of the time, but it is easy for such items to disappear during renovations to buildings and structures.

It is important that they are recorded visually and that they are given protection to ensure their preservation.  This week we show a selection of these plaques, a few of which are no longer visible and are probably destroyed or lost. 


Stone formerly on the facade of the Christian Brothers Monastery and
now fixed to a modern wall on the site.  It is inscribed:
This house was built in 1851
For the Christian Brothers
By the munificence of
Miss Anne Carbery
And by the bequests of her sisters
Miss Ellen and Miss Mary Carbery
May they rest in peace


This street name plaque inscribed 'B.G.M. Castle Street 1727' can now be seen in Barrack Lane in front of the WWI memorial.  The stone had been lost and was rediscovered in the 1970s at the lookout when improvement works were being undertaken.  We don't know what the initials G.B.M. stand for but it may refer to a member of Dungarvan Corporation or a landowner who owned property on the street.



A limestone street name plaque inscribed 'Galwey's Lane 1740'.  The
Galweys were a well-known merchant family in the town (later of
Duckspool and Colligan Lodge), who had property in the area.  The
stone was removed when Moloney's Store was demolished and re-
erected on the building which replaced it. 


This is one of the most decorative stone plaques to be seen in Dungarvan.  It can be seen at the base of No. 21 Church Street and is inscribed: 'Patricke Gough 1615', the P and G are carved as interlaced letters.  There are two other capital letters, A and part of another now damaged.  It also contains a hand holding a stamp or seal.  It commemorates Gough who was Attorney for Session in 1591 and Portreeve of Dungarvan in 1602.  The stone is either a commemorative foundation stone or part of a fireplace once incorporated into a stone house on this site.

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.
Email:

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design