Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Our Heritage in Stone - Stone Plaques in Dungarvan contd.


Christian Brothers School Shandon plaque

Christian Brothers School, Shandon.

The plaque commemorates the opening of a school at Shandon in 1811 by the Christian Brothers.  The brothers moved here from a school they had opened at Main Street in 1807. They also built a single-story house where they lived which still survives at the rear of the Park Hotel.  The brothers moved to a new larger schoolhouse at Mitchel Street in 1835.

This limestone plaque was unveiled by Rev. Brother Keane, Superior, C.B.S., Dungarvan on Sunday 1st July 1956 with Richie Walsh and Tom Kyne in attendance.  The plaque was blessed by Rev. Dan O’Byrne, Curate.  The plaque was designed by architect Mr. Aylward and the contractor was John Hearne and Sons, Waterford.  It was placed on the roofless outer wall of the schoolhouse.  When the site was acquired to build the Park Hotel the ruin of the school was demolished, and the plaque was re-erected on the boundary wall at the front of the hotel.

More information about the C.B.S. can be found in “The Christian Brothers in Dungarvan 1807 – 1992 A Tribute” by Tom Keith

 Unveiling of C.B.S. plaque by Rev. Brother Keane, Superior, at C.B.S. on Sunday 1st July 1956.  The plaque was blessed by Rev. Dan O’Byrne, Curate.  The plaque was designed by architect Mr. Aylward and the contractor was John Hearne and Sons, Waterford.

Carvings at Saint Augustine’s church, Abbeyside.

We don’t know what the original Augustinian abbey looked like and the cloisters and living accommodation are long gone.  However, fragments of carvings can still be seen set into the 19th century parish church.  The most detailed is a square limestone plaque with a griffin and three scallop shells.  Three shells are the symbol of St James.  It has been suggested that this is the arms of the abbey, but it does not seem to be the case.  It is possibly part of a family tomb but what family still remains a mystery.  Next to it on the side of one of the church windows is a sandstone head of a bishop carved in a naive medieval style.  It is doubtful if it is old but was probably carved by one of the 19th century stonemasons building the church.  It may represent Saint Augustine.  High up on the gable wall of the church next to the entrance door there are ancient fragments of possible capitals from the tops of pillars.

On the north wall of the ruined abbey church is a fine limestone doorway or tomb recess with vine leaf decoration.  Beneath it lies the tomb of Donal McGrath dated to 1470.

Carvings at St. Augustine's church, Abbeyside

McGrath Tomb Archway

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design