Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Waterford County Museum - We are 40 this year!

It is hard to believe that this year marks the 40th anniversary of the founding of the museum. The initiative came from Dungarvan I.C.A. and its then President Mrs Joan Bailey.

A public meeting was organised and took place in Lawlor’s Hotel in 1982. The large attendance included the new County Manger, Dan Hurley and the new County Librarian, Donald Brady.

A committee was set up and the intention was to have a local historical society or friends of the museum. The name decided on was Dungarvan Museum Society. The hunt was then on for a premises and fortunately R A Merry’s old store (The Old Market House) in Lower Main Street became available. Before the building was modernized and restored the Museum Society held an exhibition (in 1983) upstairs, titled ‘Gallowshill and The Lady Belle’. Enthusiastic volunteers made temporary cases and visual displays. The first committee was photographed by Rory Wyley on the night along with Mayor of Dungarvan, Jimmy Byrne, and consisted of the following:

Mrs Joan Bailey; Kitty Hayes, former Co Librarian; Donald Brady then Co Librarian, Willie Fraher, Jim Shine, Donal Walsh, Richie Walsh, Billy Kyne, Gai Morrissey, Mrs Kathleen Dowling, and Tom Nolan.

The building was restored and repurposed to house a library on the ground floor and a museum on the first floor. The official opening in 1984  was performed by author Molly Keane. 

In April 1999 the UDC vacated their offices in the old Town Hall in Friary Street and the museum moved into the ground floor. In 2009 the museum moved back into the newly renovated Town Hall space.

Since 1982 the museum has held numerous exhibitions, public talks, and published a number of local history books. Our extensive image archive now contains over 7,400 images for Dungarvan and Co Waterford. We have been the recipient of numerous awards, including for one of the most ambitious projects, the investigation and archaeological dig at Gallowshill which has resulted in rewriting the early history of the town.

The majority of our collection has been donated over the years and we would like to sincerely thank all the donors who have decided to entrust us with their cherished items and ensure that they remain within the county. This year the museum has funded a completely new lighting system, new text panels, and introduced colour into our exhibition area, all of which contributes to a better visitor experience.

The remit of the museum is: ‘to record, display and preserve artefacts, documents and images relating to the history of Co Waterford and make them available as a resource for the enjoyment and education of the local community and visitors, irrespective of age, gender, disability or ethnicity’. The museum is open Monday to Friday from 10 to 5, including lunchtime. Admission is Free and all are welcome.


 

CULTURE NIGHT - 23 SEPTEMBER 2022

Waterford County Museum is delighted to present an event to mark Culture Night 2022.

Join us to mark our 40th birthday and see our newly renovated exhibition space.

8p.m.   Decade of Centenaries - The Phil O’Donnell Collection - Official Opening

Recording Cork Republicans for the Bureau of Military History

8.30 and 9.15   Twenty Objects

Guided tour of twenty objects currently on display, by Museum Curator, William Fraher

8.30 and 9.15   Twenty Artworks

Guided tour of Paintings, Prints & Drawings currently on display by staff member and artist Tony Hayes

Refreshments will be served.

Admission Free.

Time: 7.30pm to 10.30pm

 

For further information Please contact us at info@waterfordmuseum.ie

or phone 058-45960

 

 

Culture Night 2022- Friday 23rd September

Waterford County Museum is delighted to present an event to mark Culture Night 2022.

Join us to mark our 40th birthday and see our newly renovated exhibition space.

8.30 and 9.15   Twenty Objects

Guided tour of twenty objects currently on display, by Museum Curator, William Fraher

8.30 and 9.15   Twenty Artworks

Guided tour of Paintings, Prints & Drawings currently on display by staff member and artist Tony Hayes

8p.m.   Decade of Centenaries - The Phil O’Donnell Collection - Official Opening

Recording Cork Republicans for the Bureau of Military History

Refreshments will be served.

Admission Free.

Time: 7.30pm to 10.30pm

 

For further information contact us at info@waterfordmuseum.ie 

or phone 058-45960

 

 



Stories from Old Newspapers

 Dublin Evening Telegraph 24th July 1920

Raids in Dungarvan and Ballina

Hotel Visitors Searched

The Commercial Hotel and the Devonshire Arms Hotel, Dungarvan, were raided by military on Wednesday night.  They first went to the Commercial and searched all the rooms.  They then proceeded to the Devonshire Arms, and a priest who was staying there was obliged to get out of bed.  A close search was made of all the rooms and all persons in the hotel.  The soldiers then went down the Main Street to the Town Hall, where they searched some young men engaged in erecting scenery for an Irish play.  They searched all the young men, entered the greenroom, making a close search, went under the stage, got into the old office, and ransacked all the papers, putting their bayonets through the pictures of the Republican leaders.  They then went into the clerk’s office and tumbled up all the papers.  The military were engaged from about 1 o’ clock till 2.30 a.m. Some challenges were made in the streets but all passed of quietly and there were no arrests.

Devonshire Arms Hotel Circa 1910



Commercial Hotel 1919




 

New Book - The Irish Civil War in Colour

 This new hardback book created by Michael B. Barry and John O’ Byrne, is an amazing book that is richly illustrated and is an engrossing read that brings a fresh perspective to a defining moment in Irish history. This book is available at all leading book shops and online.






Western Terrace Houses

 Western terrace was originally called ‘OLD CHAPEL LANE’:  This led to the 18th  Century Catholic Chapel on the site of the C.B.S. school. The terrace of seven houses have open balconies on the first floor. They were built around 1910.








Historic Town Atlas

The launch of the  Historic Town Atlas took place on Wednesday 17th of August  in Dungarvan Library for Heritage week.

The Historic Towns Atlas for Dungarvan prepared by John Martin for the Royal Irish Academy. This fantastic resource traces the evolution of settlement, society and economy in Dungarvan. Discover the origins of this coastal town, its archaeology, its architecture, industries and trade over the centuries as mapped and narrated in this comprehensive piece of work under the dedication of John Martin.             

Copies of the Atlas will be available to purchase at the Museum priced at €35



Illuminated Address Donation

 

We were delighted to receive a recent donation of an impressive hand illuminated address in Irish which was drawn by Liam Ua Míodhachain (1874-1960) in a Celtic Revival style.  It was presented to Liam Ó h’ Iceadha on the occasion of his marriage in 1914. There is intricate Celtic interlacing and scenes of Abbeyside Castle and the old gable wall at St. Mary’s Church of Ireland. The address was presented to him by the Dungarvan branch of Conradh na Gaeilge and is signed by Dan Fraher, Séan Ó Loinsigh, and Miceál Ó Floinn. The address which is now on display in the museum was presented by to Liam Ó h’ Iceadha granddaughters, Nóirin Westman, Muireann McGrath and Iosoilde Dromey.


from left to right are Muireann McGrath, Nóirin Westman, William Fraher ( Curator Waterford County Museum) and Iosoilde Dromey.






Stories from Old Newspapers

 Co. Tipperary Independent & Tipperary Free Press,

 28 August 1886

St Augustine’s Seminary Dungarvan

‘This establishment was opened 12 years ago [1874], in compliance with the earnest desire of numerous parents and guardians, to satisfy a long-felt want in this locality – that is to say: to form a link between the Primary Schools and the University; hence the Intermediate programme was adopted from the beginning. That it has been most successful in imparting a sound knowledge, the fathers have but to refer the many students who passed for the ecclesiastical and other professions. The fathers have procured the services of competent and trained masters, and trust, by constant attention, that the Seminary will retain the high reputation which it has had for so long deserved. The school re-opens on Monday 16 August’.

The subject taught at the school included: Latin, Greek, Maths, History, Geography, Modern Languages, Italian, German, Natural Philosophy, Drawing, Book-Keeping, Mercantile Studies, English Language, etc. The charges for the year were: English and Maths £4, and the entire course (music excepted) £5.

‘All the students who presented themselves passed the Science and Art examinations last May’.

‘Signed by Very Rev. J.A. Williams O.S.A., President, Dungarvan 9 August 1886’.

Before opening the school in Main Street, the first classes were held in the Theatre in the Old Town Hall, St Augustine Street. The school closed in 1972 and moved to a new premises which opened at Duckspool in September 1972. The former school premises in Main Street is now Dungarvan Enterprise Centre, Main Street.


Students and Teacher Saint Augustine’s Seminary, Dungarvan Circa 1930.



Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.
Email:

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design