Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Object of the Week - Porcelain Sucrier with Hand Painted Scene of Old Strancally Castle with Cobalt Blue Colouring and Gilt Decoration. Made by Coalport in England c. 1891

The present Strancally Castle was built by John Kiely in the early 19th century in a Gothic style.  The original castle was situated a few miles downriver and the ruins remain.  It was built by the Fitzgeralds and is referred to in 1571.

In 1586 the castle was granted to Sir Walter Raleigh and by 1640 it was in the possession of John Gillard.  It was attacked by Lord Castlehaven in 1645 and it eventually became the property of Richard Boyle, the Great Earl of Cork.  The ruins consist of a tower house and an adjoining hall.

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design