Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Object of the Week - Penny Farthing Bicycle Late 19th Century

The first cycling club in Ireland was established in Dungarvan in 1869.  The club was founded by Richard Edward Brenan the postmaster.  The first race for a challenge cup was run in September 1869 and the cup can be seen, along with the penny farthing, in Waterford County Museum. Amongst its members was the photographer Edmond Keohan.

Dungarvan can with good reason claim to be the birthplace of Irish cycling.

This penny farthing was owned and ridden by Canon Burkitt of Stradbally, Co. Waterford and there is a photograph of him cycling the bike in 1936 when he was in his seventies.  Some people may recognise the bicycle as John O'Brien used to cycle it in the Dungarvan St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design