Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Object of the Week - 'Any Time is Urney Time' Clock from the Ormonde Cinema, Dungarvan, 1940s

Urney Chocolates was established in 1919 by Eileen and Harry Gallagher at Urney, Co. Tyrone.

Mrs Gallagher set up a sweet making factory in her back garden in an effort to provide employment for locals who were emigrating due to lack of employment.

In 1924 the factory was destroyed by fire and it was moved to Tallaght in Dublin.  By the 1960s Urney Chocolates was employing one thousand workers and was then one of the largest chocolate factories in Europe.  In 1963 W & R Grace, New York, purchased the company.  In 1970 they sold it to Unilever who changed the name to HB Chocolates.

The company ceased production in 1980.

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design