Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Stories from old Newspapers

 Waterford Standard 22 June 1929

Dungarvan Electric Light Company acquired by the Electricity Supply Board

A specially summoned meeting of the shareholders of the Dungarvan Electric Light Company was held at the boardroom of the company for the purpose of considering a further offer for the purchase of the company by the Electricity Supply Board.

‘A fortnight ago a meeting had been held, when an offer of £5,000 for the works was considered, and it was decided to send a deputation to Dublin to ask the ESB to increase their offer. The deputation reported that the offer had been increased to £5800. Mr Thomas Power, chairman, and other directors present included Messrs J.Dunne, P.J.Moloney, and T.Foley.  There were a good number of shareholders present. Mr Keohan said it was a good thing the deputation had gone to Dublin as they made £800. Mr. Merry agreed…Keohan proposed they accept the offer which was seconded by Mr Merry. Mr J.A. Lynch proposed a vote of thanks to the directors. They gave the people good light…The chairman hoped they [ESB] would meet the needs of the people and give light cheap and satisfactory. They as a local company could not to anything else but accept the offer. The Shannon scheme had power to come into the town and override their works and they could not hope to compete with it’.

Edmond Keohan wrote the following on the company in his Illustrated History of Dungarvan 1924:

‘The Electric Light Company was established in 1920 with a capital of £8,000. The original intention was to obtain the power from the river Colligan, but this idea was abandoned, and now the power is derived from engines installed at the works. The Company have secured the contract for the public lighting, and almost all the shops in town have got an electric installation. It has been very satisfactory as regards its lighting powers, and so far, that is for the three years of its existence, the enterprise has got on well. As a local industry it is a success. The charge is 1/- per unit. The light was first lighted on the 15th of August, 1921. Mr. John Dunphy is electrical manager.’

The Shannon Scheme first began to generate electricity for the national grid in October 1929. From 1929, nine towns and villages across Waterford were directly supplied by the Shannon Scheme:

Cappoquin, 1929, Dungarvan, 1930, Dunmore East, 1929, Lismore, 1929, Passage East, 1929, Portlaw, 1938—1939, Tallow, 1929, Tramore, 1929, Waterford, 1929.


Dungarvan Electric Image - Circa 1920

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design