This card was part of a heraldic series published by Stoddart & Co. of Halifax, Yorkshire, between 1905 and 1917. They were printed under the trademark Ja-Ja.
The image depicts the ancient Irish warriors flanking a shield containing an image of a ship with a castle on either side representing Dungarvan Castle and Abbeyside Castle. The motto beneath reads: 'Ní Maraide Go Stiúrtóir' - Not a Mariner 'Till a Steersman.
It was designed by the scholar and antiquarian William Williams (1820-1875) in 1863.