The workhouse building in Kilmacthomas was built at a later date than most of those around the country. It was built in 1851 on the townland of Carriganonshagh (Rock of the Female Idiots).
The building was designed by George Wilkinson. Before the construction of the building people were sent to the workhouses in Waterford or Dungarvan.
The land was purchased from Mr. Power O'Shea of Gardenmorris House, Kill. The workhouse was designed to house 600 inmates.
The workhouse closed in September 1919 and the remaining inmates were transferred to Dungarvan and Lismore. It was taken over as a barracks by Republicans in 1922.
For a detailed account see 'The Comeraghs - Famine, Eviction and Revolution' by Seán and Síle Murphy.