Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Dan Fraher's Makeover

The man whom the Fraher Field is named after lived at 17 Grattan Square where he had a drapery shop named The Gaelic Outfitting Store.  This shop is now The Wine Buff.  In 2014 the paintwork was removed from beneath the shop window and a panel of tiles was revealed to everyone’s surprise.  It is inscribed: ‘D. Ua Fearacair’ in an Irish script.  In early photographs the shop has the name in English.

We now know when the tiles were put in place.  The Waterford News published an account of the renovations in August 1900:

Both the interior and exterior of Mr Daniel Fraher’s establishment at Dungarvan presents a very handsome appearance having been lately renovated.  Mr Fraher, who fluently speaks the native tongue and takes a deep and loving interest in its spread, is the only shopkeeper in the Old Borough at present who has his name in Irish letters outside his establishment.

It is nice to see that the panel of tiles has been preserved as there are only a few such panels remaining in Dungarvan.

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design