Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Merry Christmas from Waterford County Museum


             We would like to wish all our members and visitors a very Happy Christmas.

Our opening hours over Christmas are: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday.   We will be closing at 1 p.m. 24th December 2020 and reopening on 4th January 2021.

Marble and Stone Memorials - Marble Memorial St. Mary's Church

Kiely monument

This monument commemorates the Kiely family of Dungarvan.  The main panel is inscribed:

“Mrs Mary Kiely Relict of Maurice Kiely of Dungarvan who died 1887 aged 67 years.  Erected in affectionate memory by her son the Rev. John V. Kiely, Pastor of the Church of the Transfiguration, Brooklyn, New York”.

The pedestal carries a statue of the Virgin standing on a cloud with Angel’s heads.  This is a unique monument as it was not carved in Ireland but was shipped from New York.  The carver was John G. Draddy (1833-1904) and his brother.  It is stamped on the base “Draddy Bros, New York”.  They were based in Broadway and did marble and bronze memorials.  John created a sculpture of Thomas Moore in Prospect Park and the bronze figures (1866) surrounding the Civil War monument in Calvery Cemetery which commemorates 21 Catholic soldiers who died of wounds in the Civil War.  They also carved the August Daly altar and Coleman memorial in St. Patrick’s Cathedral, New York.  Draddy is an Irish surname, but John was born in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The Rev. John Kiely was born in Dungarvan in 1847.  He was a graduate of Mount Melleray.  He was the youngest priest ever ordained for the diocese of Brooklyn at 22.   He was ordained on 24th June 1869 at All Hallows.  Soon after he was placed in charge of St. Mary's Church, Brooklyn.  In 1881 he took over the parish of The Transfiguration in the eastern district, where he oversaw the construction of a new church in 1892.  He had four brothers, Rev. Joseph of Chicago, Philip based in Australia, Maurice of Dungarvan and Edmund of Waterbury Conn.

Rev. J. M. Kiely died in August 1899.  There is a monstrance which was made for the Rev. Kiely in the museum.  

Rev. J. M. Kiely

Looking for Christmas Gifts? Buy Our Books


Special Offer on Waterford County Museum Books

Books Cost €20 each

Buy any 2 books for €35

Buy any 3 books for €50

Buy any 4 books for €60

Plenty of books in stock now for Christmas Gifts

Illustrated History of Dungarvan

By Edmund Keohan

Originally published in 1924, this new much expanded edition includes additional articles, an author biography, more photographs and annotations. 

Desperate Haven

The story of the famine in Dungarvan & West Waterford. 


The Comeraghs "Gunfire & Civil War"

History of the Déise Brigade IRA 1914-1924. The story of the conflict in the words of the volunteers who fought. 


The Towns & Villages of the Waterford Greenway

A history of Dungarvan, Abbeyside, Stradbally, Kilmacthomas, Portlaw & Waterford City. 

All Waterford County Museum books are available to buy from the Book Centre, Waterford City and Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan priced €20. To buy them online search for "Waterford County Museum" on Amazon. Profits go towards supporting the museum. 


Marble and Stone Memorials

In this series we will take a look at a selection of grave memorials erected in the cemeteries of St Mary’s Parish Church, St Mary’s Church of Ireland, St Augustine’s and Abbeyside Church.

These are large stone or marble monuments to the clergy, merchants, and gentry of Dungarvan and district.  In the late 19th century Celtic crosses became very fashionable with elaborate interlacing.  These were inspired by the Celtic Revival.

The memorials are not all by local carvers and are executed by masons in Dublin, Cork, Waterford, Liverpool etc.  Not all are marked with the maker’s name.  A local stone carver in the 19th century was John Atkins.  Patrick Molloy established his business in 1892 in Kilkenny city, Callan and Dungarvan.  There are many memorials by him in Dungarvan, including that to Edmond Power in the Town Park.  There are memorials by other firms such as: Burnell & Co, Dublin; Farrell & Son, Glasnevin; J. Collins, Waterford; and T. H. Dennamy, Marble Woks, Glasnevin.  It is important to make a visual record of these as we take their preservation for granted.  Age, weather and other threats means that many of them are now showing signs of wear and damage.  An example is one of the most impressive and elegant memorials which can be found in St Mary’s Parish church.  It Commemorates the Cody family and was badly damaged in 2019 when the top section collapsed.  It is one of the rare instances where we have a newspaper account of when it was constructed and who carved it.

The website www.historicgraves.com is a valuable resource for looking up grave memorials in Co Waterford and around Ireland as it also includes a photograph of every monument listed.

Ussher family memorial

Ussher family memorial, St. Mary's Church of Ireland

This monument in the shape of an obelisk was carved by Hastings of Anfield, Liverpool and commemorates the Ussher family of Canty House.  Related surnames also listed include Musgrave and Hearne.

Fosberry Evans Celtic Cross, St. Mary's Church of Ireland

Fosberry Evans Celtic Cross

This Celtic cross was erected in 1895 to commemorate William Fosberry Evans who was the manager of the National Bank in Dungarvan.  He died on 23 March 1895 aged 64 and his wife Mary H. died in 1901.

Celtic Cross, St. Augustine's, Friary St.

This cross commemorates Michael Power ‘donor to the church’.  He was a native of Tramore who had emigrated to Australia and eventually retired to live in Dungarvan where he resided with the mother of Bishop James Vincent Cleary in Main Street.  He donated vestments, church furnishings and a chalice to the Friary. In 1884 he paid the Marquis of Waterford for the ground on which the church stood.  He is the only lay person buried in the grounds of the church

Celtic Cross Rev Landy

This marble Celtic cross at St Augustine's church commemorates Rev Vincent Landy, O.S.A. who died in 1902 aged 39.  It was carved by Molloy of Callan & Dungarvan.


More Decorative Exterior Plasterwork in Dungarvan

Museum curator William Fraher continues this week with some more images of plasterwork in Dungarvan.

Dan McCarthy's, Main St.

Dan McCarthy's doorway

Emmett St. House plasterwork

Friary St doorway

Mitchel St. plasterwork

Old Bank plaster pillars

Old Friary College, Main St.

New Books for sale in the Museum

Liam Suipéil has just published a book about Saint Declan with gathers together stories, prayers, poetry and images illustrating the life of the saint.  The book is profusely illustrated with many photographs by the author and also a few from the museum’s image archive.  It is sure to be a popular book with visitors to Ardmore.  The book is for sale at €10.00.

Donald Brady’s new publication “Julia M. Crottie And Other Disparate Essays” is now also on sale in the museum. This book is the tenth title produced by Donald. It represents a culmination in a lifetime’s involvement with the history and heritage of county Waterford. The disparate essays range from the 17th to the 20th century and while most are historical narratives several are gleaned from the author’s own life experiences.  This limited edition book is for sale at €20.00.  

Museum has Reopened

 We are delighted to welcome back visitors to the museum.

Our opening hours are: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday.

We currently have a small exhibition on Edmond Keohan and his work.  Included in the display is a recent donation of three of Keohans’ original publications.  We are reorganising our displays and some sections are inaccessible at the moment.  We hope this will provide an improved visitor experience when completed. 

Irish Historic Towns Atlas


The Royal Irish Academy has just published Dungarvan as number 30 in their Irish Towns Atlas Series.  The museum was delighted to provide information and many of the illustrations for the atlas. Congratulations to the author John Martin and the Academy for producing such a wonderful publication which will be an essential reference work for anyone interested in the history of Dungarvan.  The Atlas will be launched on YouTube on 3rd December and the author was interviewed by Museum curator William Fraher.  The atlas is for sale at Garvey’s Supervalu and Easons or direct from the Royal Irish Academy website. 

The earliest map of Dungarvan featured in the Atlas is currently on display in the museum.

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design