Waterford County Museum, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, Ireland. Charity Reg: 17397
Tel: +353 (0)58 45960 Email: info@waterfordmuseum.ie
Shopping Cart
Articles Photos

Gallows Hill Group News

Chrissy Knight, Waterford County Museum and Gallows Hill co-ordinator, being wired up by RTE's sound engineer before John Creedon's visit to Gallows Hill three weeks ago.

RTE first contacted the Gallows Hill Group some months back with a view to visiting Dungarvan with John Creedon. The Museum and the Gallows Hill group were delighted to welcome the film crew to Dungarvan.  A representative and planner visited with Chrissy and Eddie some weeks prior to their visit and discussed plans for the visit.  Chrissy was nominated to be the person to take John Creedon on a tour not only of Gallows Hill, but likely Viking hot spots in the area. The tour took the best part of eight hours, after which Chrissy was happy but exhausted, and looking forward to a glass of wine!  Working with the crew was brilliant. They were very accommodating and helpful.  Hopefully, there will be some interesting footage when the programme airs on R.T.E.

Stories from Old Newspapers

Weekly Freeman’s Journal 3 February 1883.

Threatening to Shoot Sir Nugent Humble

At ten o’clock on Saturday it was reported to Head-Constable Kyne, of Dungarvan, that two men armed with revolvers had threatened to shoot Sir Nugent Humble, Bart, of Cloncoskeran…A man named Fitzgerald gave information of the matter to the constabulary.  He stated that he was engaged breaking stones on the public road leading from Cappoquin to Dungarvan, when two strange men, having the appearance of tramps, asked him if he saw Sir Nugent Humble passing that day.  Fitzgerald said he did not, and asked them what they wanted him for.  Both of them said that they wanted to shoot him. Fitzgerald asked how they could shoot him without firearms. Both men thereupon pulled out revolvers.  He did not question them further, and they then proceeded in the direction of Dungarvan.  Subsequently the police arrested two men on the charge.  This afternoon a magisterial investigation was held before A.E. Redmond, R.M., and the prisoners remanded until Monday next.  When they were searched at the police barracks no weapon of any kind was found upon them.

13th July 2019 - Celebrating Lady Catherine's life in Curraghmore House

Afternoon Tea celebrating Lady Catherine's Life hosted by Curraghmore House

As part of the Comeraghs Wild Festival, on Saturday the 13th July at 3 p.m. historians Julian Walton and William Fraher will host an afternoon commemorating Lady Catherine Beresford Nee Power.

Talks will be accompanied by a traditional afternoon tea in the formal dining room.  The event includes both talks and afternoon tea in the house and a visit to the Shell House.

Tickets €50 pp.   Due to limited numbers, places must be pre booked.

Julian Walton

Commemorating Lady Catherine Beresford, Nee Power (1701-1769)

Catherine was the only child of James Power of Curraghmore, Earl of Tyrone, and his wife Anne Rickards of Dangan near Kilmacow.  Born in 1701, she inherited the vast Curraghmore estate at the age of two on the death of her father.  She was brought up by her mother and in 1717 married Sir Marcus Beresford, uniting two of Ireland's most prominent families.  During their long life together they transformed Curraghmore, Catherine's special contribution being the Shell House.  They had a large family which by the end of the century had become Ireland's foremost political dynasty.  Catherine had a forceful personality and is still remembered in local tradition.  This lecture is a tribute to her remarkable life, which ended 250 years ago.

William Fraher

Laid out in Fine Taste

Lady Catherine Power and Sir Marcus Beresford's creations at Tyrone House and Curraghmore.

The Talk will focus on the couple's Dublin town house - Tyrone House, and their work at Curraghmore, rebuilding and embellishing the house and garden including the remarkable Shell House.  They employed the renowned Lafranchini brothers to decorate the walls and ceilings of both houses with magnificent plasterwork.

Venue:  Curraghmore House, Portlaw, Co. Waterford

Date:    13th July 2019

Time:    3 p.m.

Admission:   €50 (including afternoon tea).

14th July 2019 - Talk at Woodhouse Estate, Stradbally

William Fraher will give a talk at Woodhouse Estate, Stradbally on Sunday 14th July at 3 p.m. as part of the Comeraghs Wild Festival.

The talk is titled: "The Waterford Country House during the Revolutionary Period".

Venue:            Woodhouse Estate, Stradbally

Date:              14th July 2019

Time:              3 p.m. 

Admission:      €25 (including afternoon tea)

To book and for further details see www.comeraghswild.com

Photo of the Week

Do you recognise the people in this photo?  If so please let us know.

Tourism Launch of Book - 'The Towns & Villages of the Waterford Greenway'


Last Christmas the history book 'The Towns and Villages of the Waterford Greenway' was launched to widespread acclaim. Reviewers described the book as ..
"A splendid book, a glossy, table-top, feel-good, reason to shout out and be proud book" Liam Murphy,                                                                                                                               The Munster Express

"The book is a triumph. It's not just superbly produced and with fascinating illustrations. Above all, the text is also well-written, cogently presented and designed to last." Professor Ged Martin
The aim of the book was to create an accessible, well-researched history of the towns, villages and heritage along the Greenway. As well as taking you off the “beaten track” it also featured a concise historically accurate history of the railway. The target market for the publication looked beyond history enthusiasts to include locals wanting to learn about their native place and schools looking for history projects. With sales of over 1600 to date the book is now widely available locally.
The publication is now being relaunched for the tourist market as an attractive souvenir for visitors. Waterford County Museum hopes to bring the book out of the bookshops and into diverse locations along the Greenway including coffee shops, bike hire shops, accommodation providers, and restaurants etc.

The tourism launch by Cllr. Ger Barron took place at the Woodhouse Estate, Stradbally by kind permission of Jim & Sally Thompson. Cllr. Barron, one of the driving forces behind the Waterford Greenway, spoke of the importance of the Greenway to the local economy and the need for Waterford to continue to improve on what it offered visitors. He welcomed the book as a production that significantly enhanced visitor enjoyment of the greenway. Cian Flaherty and Willie Whelan made contributions on what the project meant for their local history groups. Finally, Jim Thompson spoke a few words about his connections to Stradbally and how the book helped to promote the area's history.


Waterford County Museum are looking for businesses around the county to stock the book on a sale or return basis. A proportion of the proceeds are retained by your business and the balance goes to support heritage in the local area.  If you have an interest in stocking our publication, please contact Willie Whelan on 086 2748377 and he will answer any queries you might have.


The book priced at €20 is already stocked in the following outlets: Eurospar Abbeyside, Reader’s Choice, Shalloe's Newsagents, Dungarvan Tourist Office, Waterford County Museum and Eason Dungarvan (all in Dungarvan). The book is also available in Mahony’s Shop, Durrow; Cunningham's Supermarket, Stradbally; Kilmacthomas Post Office; Coach House Coffee; Breakwater Gift Shop; Dunhill Multi-Education Centre; Fogarty’s Shop, Portlaw; Portlaw Heritage Centre; Hickson's Centra, Kilmeaden; The Book Centre; Waterford Medieval Museum; and Lismore Heritage Centre.
This 270-page book is the product of work by four heritage groups, eleven historians, three photographers and two illustrators over a two-year period. All profits from this book are being donated to Portlaw Heritage Centre, Stradbally Church Ruins Committee, Waterford Archaeological & Historical Society and Waterford County Museum.

Authors contributing to the book included Eddie Cantwell, Ger Crotty, Cian Flaherty, William Fraher, Chrissy Knight-O'Connor, Cian Manning, Seán and Síle Murphy, Julian Walton, Martin Whelan and William Whelan. Photographers for the publication were Eamonn Bolger, John Foley, and Patrick Kenealy. The original illustrations were provided by Michael Power and Anne Lannon Power.

The project was initiated and managed for Waterford County Museum by Willie Whelan. The museum would like to thank Waterford Council, The Heritage Council and Waterford Leader Partnership CLG for their support of this project.

Photo of the Week

Can you identify the people in this photo?  If so, please let us know.

Winner in National Lottery Good Causes Awards 2019

This week we were delighted to receive our certificate as the county winner for National Lottery Good Causes Awards 2019 for our Gallows Hill Community Archaeology Project.

Congratulations again to Chrissie and Eddie and all who were involved in the project!

Stories from Old Newspapers

Waterford Standard 18 June 1870

New Industrial School Kilmacthomas (Woollen Mill)

The laying of the foundation stone of the new Industrial House, Kilmacthomas, was celebrated here today before a very large and enthusiastic assemblage, by the Marquis of Waterford…twenty years ago it was undoubtedly one of the poorest and most miserable spots in the county Waterford.  About that time, while passing through the town, Louisa, Marchioness of Waterford, was struck by the destitution which prevailed…she set about devising a plan for giving…employment.  It occurred to her that the establishment of a woollen factory at Kilmacthomas would be the means of causing a circulation of money.  Of late years the factory was found to be quite too small.  At the present time there is but seven looms at work under the management of Mr. J Abbott…when the present new building is erected it will afford full employment to upwards of one hundred persons.  The wool will there undergo every process from its imperfect state until it is made cloth.  The new building will be 78 feet by 35 feet, and will be three stories high, and will cost £3,000.  Up to the present the profits of the present factory, have been expended on the inhabitants for their comfort.  The town was beautifully decorated with evergreens.  A triumphal arch very beautifully conceived…spanned the main street.  The band of the Waterford Militia was engaged by the committee…The Rev Mr. Parker Rector of Kilmacthomas then called upon the assembly to give his lordship a real Irish Cead Mile Failte which was given heartily.  The Rev Parker then said that the next part of the programme was that his lordship should put on the apron which all journeymen masons wore.  Mr. Thomas Browne…put the apron on his lordship amid much merriment…Dr Green then presented him with the square which he applied to the stone, Mr Shanhan, the level, and Mr Abbott, the mallet, and Captain Coghlan, the trowel, which was a handsome silver one, manufactured by Mr James Mosley, the Quay, Waterford.

Sunday 7th July 2019 Lectures - Power & Politics in the Blackwater Valley

Power and Politics in the Blackwater Valley

Sunday July 7th 2019

Dromana House, Cappoquin, Co. Waterford

10.30 - 4 pm

Prof. Patrick Geoghehan (TCD): 'Liberation: Waterford and the Winning of Civil Rights in the Age of Daniel O'Connell'.

Dr. Dave Edwards (UCC): 'Richard Boyle, Earl of Cork: Statesman and Warlord (1629-1643)'.


Prof. Tadgh O'Keeffe (UCD): 'Home truths about Walter Raleigh, Richard Boyle and Edmund Spenser'.

Patrick Cockburn (The Independent Newspaper London): 'Power struggles: marriages and money in an Anglo-Irish family in the 19th century'.

Enquiries and booking email: info@dromanahouse.com Tel: 086 8186305.
€75 pp or €130 for 2 persons to include morning coffee, lunch and afternoon tea.

Photo of the Week

Can you identify the people in this photo?  If so, please let us know.

Stories from Old Newspapers

Poole Collection in N.L.I.

Cork Examiner 17 August 1900

Grand Bazaar in Dungarvan

In glorious weather a bazaar for the benefit of the funds of the Dungarvan Brass Band has opened on Monday in the beautiful grounds of Brewery Lodge…The decorations and illuminations were carried out on a costly and elaborate scale.  Mr. Cartwright, who resides in the splendid dwelling house on the grounds, is a member of the band committee…He worked personally in the getting up of the decorations, and with him were…the other members of the band committee, Messrs James Hayes, J.P.; J.A. Dower, P. Mulcahy, etc. The grounds were a rare sight to see.  Before reaching the entrance a pair of coloured lanterns showed brilliant light suspended from an overhanging tree, and above the entrance gate in the midst of flags was inscribed ‘Grand Bazaar’.

All along the winding walk in the midst of the flowers, shrubs and trees were placed hundreds of coloured lamps. In the croquet ground the bandstand was placed…At night when the grounds were lighted up, the place resembled a fairy palace…ladies attired in the most faultless manner flitted to and from amongst the crowds.  The first stall…was presided over by Mrs. Captain Dower…immediately behind the stall was a tea house furnished with fancy tables and seats, Mrs. Cartwright assisted by two maids attended to the wants of her patrons. A little distance off was the Ice House, where the liquors were made cool for the customers.  The oriental stall was presided over by Miss Sheehan, ‘Hope’ by Miss Norris, ‘Celestial’ by Mrs. J.F. Ryan.  Close by in a hut, formed by a tree, a lady professor, Madame Von Remo, carried on her business of palmistry.  The bazaar was held for two days and nights.  The band played under the baton of Mr. Hatton.

Visitors to the Museum

On Tuesday last we welcomed a group of 90 ladies from Ballyphehane Network Group in Cork.  After a talk by the museum curator William Fraher in the Town Hall Theatre, the ladies were given a guided tour of the museum.  Following this, they went to Dungarvan Castle for the video/tour there.  They enjoyed their visit and we look forward to welcoming many more groups over the summer months.

If groups would like to have a tour of the museum they can contact us in advance in order to arrange a date and time.

Photo of the Week

Do you recognise the people in this photo?  If so, please let us know

Stories from Old Newspapers

Cork Examiner 17 June 1908

Funeral of Captain Michael Moloney, Dungarvan

The remains of this respected and influential citizen of Dungarvan were laid to rest on Wednesday in the cemetery of the Parish Church. Not indeed for a long time has such a death occurred in our midst that evoked such widespread regret….As an employer he gave work to numbers of families, and his business was of so vast an extent that it embraced large commercial transactions with people far away from our midst. As a ship owner he recently met with some trouble in having two of his fine fleet of vessels lost, and what rendered the occurrences more sad was the…loss of life, a melancholy fact which caused the deceased much anxiety.

The remains were conveyed from the residence Priory House…to the Catholic Church…and no list of names could give adequate representation of the vast assemblage that came to pay their last tribute…The entire town was present…and people came from far into the country, for they were all connected in trade with the deceased.  The coffin was borne by the sailors in the employment of the deceased…On Wednesday morning Office and High Mass were sung for the repose of the soul of the deceased.

The chief mourners were: John J. Moloney, Michael Moloney, Thomas and Joseph Moloney (sons), Monica and Ida Moloney (daughters); Rev. T A Moloney O.S.A., London (brother); John and William Farrell, Frogmore, Youghal (brothers-in-law); Thomas and William Farrell, Cork (nephews); E and May Doherty, Kilmallock (nieces); Mrs Dee, Edward Dee, Mrs and Miss Galvin, Youghal, etc.   

Upcoming Events

More Upcoming Events

Latest News

More News

Latest Articles

Join Our Mailing List

Join our mailing list and get all the latest news for free via email. Simply enter your email address in the box below and press the 'Join' button.

Make A Donation

Waterford County Museum is a non profit voluntary museum. We would be grateful for any financial donation large or small.

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Blogger Follow us on Youtube
Waterford County Museum 2014. All rights reserved. Please read our Terms of Use
Website By: Déise Design