
On 1st March 1954 electricity was introduced to the area. The Creamery was the one hundred thousandth customer and the switch-on was performed by Seán Lemass, Minister for Industry and Commerce. 'With the co-operation of Pye (Ireland) Ltd., the complete proceedings were televised, with receivers placed to show the ceremony to overflow crowds both inside and outside'. The Parish Priest, Father Walsh also spoke at the event. (See www.esbarchives.ie)