Stories from Old Newspapers

 Co. Tipperary Independent & Tipperary Free Press,

 28 August 1886

St Augustine’s Seminary Dungarvan

‘This establishment was opened 12 years ago [1874], in compliance with the earnest desire of numerous parents and guardians, to satisfy a long-felt want in this locality – that is to say: to form a link between the Primary Schools and the University; hence the Intermediate programme was adopted from the beginning. That it has been most successful in imparting a sound knowledge, the fathers have but to refer the many students who passed for the ecclesiastical and other professions. The fathers have procured the services of competent and trained masters, and trust, by constant attention, that the Seminary will retain the high reputation which it has had for so long deserved. The school re-opens on Monday 16 August’.

The subject taught at the school included: Latin, Greek, Maths, History, Geography, Modern Languages, Italian, German, Natural Philosophy, Drawing, Book-Keeping, Mercantile Studies, English Language, etc. The charges for the year were: English and Maths £4, and the entire course (music excepted) £5.

‘All the students who presented themselves passed the Science and Art examinations last May’.

‘Signed by Very Rev. J.A. Williams O.S.A., President, Dungarvan 9 August 1886’.

Before opening the school in Main Street, the first classes were held in the Theatre in the Old Town Hall, St Augustine Street. The school closed in 1972 and moved to a new premises which opened at Duckspool in September 1972. The former school premises in Main Street is now Dungarvan Enterprise Centre, Main Street.

Students and Teacher Saint Augustine’s Seminary, Dungarvan Circa 1930.