Illuminated Address Donation


We were delighted to receive a recent donation of an impressive hand illuminated address in Irish which was drawn by Liam Ua Míodhachain (1874-1960) in a Celtic Revival style.  It was presented to Liam Ó h’ Iceadha on the occasion of his marriage in 1914. There is intricate Celtic interlacing and scenes of Abbeyside Castle and the old gable wall at St. Mary’s Church of Ireland. The address was presented to him by the Dungarvan branch of Conradh na Gaeilge and is signed by Dan Fraher, Séan Ó Loinsigh, and Miceál Ó Floinn. The address which is now on display in the museum was presented by to Liam Ó h’ Iceadha granddaughters, Nóirin Westman, Muireann McGrath and Iosoilde Dromey.

from left to right are Muireann McGrath, Nóirin Westman, William Fraher ( Curator Waterford County Museum) and Iosoilde Dromey.